Martial Development

Everything you wanted to know about ...

If this is true, drew deserves highest respect...

..but it just doesnt settle right with me. Mayhaps it is some sort of jealousy, (of so much success,) but this just does not settle well with me...

I can't decide if Drew is one of the craziest, most delusional posters on here or if he should be nominated for the Nobel prize as one of the most brilliant folks alive. Right now I am leaning towards the brilliance but may change my mind later.

I do hope to see him utilize those talents to ease suffering in others instead on being fixated on the orgasms as what he is describing is an advanced qi projection method/talent used in healing that few posses. But that is just me. I wish Drew the best.

• Like 1

A Perfect 5th is the interval between 5 full notes...

About western vs. non-western intervals:

(I think that people mean "equal temperment" when they say "western". So my explanation is about equal temperament. But saying it is "western" is a misnomer".)

Pythagoras is credited with discovering the laws of harmony in the west, the primary principle being that two frequencies sound more harmonious if they have a ratio close to the ratio of small whole numbers. So the most harmonious interval is the octave (ratio of 2:1), then the perfect fifth (3:2, which is an octave down from 3:1), the perfect fourth (4:3), the major third (5:4), and the minor third (6:5). The names come from scales, but scales are derived from intervals so that is putting the cart before the horse.

Now suppose we want to make a harmonious progression of notes from which to draw upon in composition (a "scale"). We would do this by combining octaves, fifths, fourths, and both kinds of thirds in different ways. We immediately find that a major third followed by a minor third or vice versa is a fifth, and a fifth followed by a fourth or vice versa is an octave. The other combinations will give new intervals. This way we get an infinite number of notes in our scale! Back up...

Upon inspection, 3 major thirds is about 1.95:1, and 4 minor thirds is about 2.07:1. Both close to an octave! What if we "fudged" the definition of each to make it work out so that 3 of the former and 4 of the latter is an octave? Would that sound so much less harmonious than using the exact ratios? The frequencies obtained thereby would be about 1 percent different then the perfect ratios. All but the most exquisitely trained human ears could not tell the difference!

Now, we also observe that 12 perfect fifths is about 129.74:1 which is 1 percent different than 7 octaves! So if we fudge the definition of a fifth a bit so that 12 fifths is exactly 7 octaves, we get 12 tones in a one octave interval (starting note, 1 fifth up, two fifths up, etc. taking each interval down by a factor of 2 to get it in the right octave). The smallest of these is the interval "half-step" or "semi-tone" and 12 of these equal an octave. 3 of these is our modifed minor third from above, 4 is our modified major third, and 7 is our modified perfect fifth. 5 is a "fudged" perfect foruth, so that a fuged fourth followed by a fudged fifth is again an octave.

So now we have 12 tones in an octave from which to use in our compositions. Adding in all the different octaves, we have all the intervals used in modern western music. The collection of all tones that are one of these intervals from a starting note (say 440 hz, which is the 4th A on a piano, I think) has the following properties

1. It approximately contain all minor and major thirds, perfect fifths and fourths, and octaves from any of its notes

2. If you take one of these tones and use that as your starting note, you get the exact same progression that you got from your original starting note.

The price to pay is that the intervals you are using are not exactly rations of whole numbers. But note that neither of these two properties could possibly hold if you based all your intervals on ratios of whole numbers. You would need an infinite number of notes within a single octave to do it.

From one perspective it's aesthetically frustrating. From another, nothing in the universe is exact, so if you can't really hear the difference, who cares?

The alternative to giving up exact ratios (insofar as you can construct an instrument that can be tuned exactly :lol: ), is to find a progression that only approximately satisfies 1. and 2. above. (Note: You WILL want your list of permissible notes to satisfy and 1. and 2. at least approximately if you want to compose a piece of music.) So pick your poison.

Edited by Creation
  • Like 1

Drew seems to be a great and honest person. Little bit of Qigong deviance? lol. Just kidding. My kind of person for sure regardless. While so many people eat burgers and watch TV all day there are others like us that look for more then the mundane.

Can't wait to read the interview...

Good summation, Creation - but I think one fundamental part of it that winds up getting missed is the implications this has on harmonics and resonance.

I'll use an equal tempered guitar analogy - the string ratios for all but one of the strings are fifths ascending, but fourths descending; therefore, a harmonic on the sixth string, fifth fret, will be the same as a harmonic on fifth string, seventh fret - its just where the ratios line up. That's just background - my point being that its easier to hear & tune by the harmonics because the Hz range differs much more quickly at the higher frequencies, more easily detected by the ears. So basically what I'm getting at is that even though these "roundings" are acceptable and coherent in their own particular idiom, the harmonics and resonances actually diverge much more from those whole number roots at the higher frequencies. Drew states "Nonwestern music healing works by transducing sound through natural resonance of frequency," so by that rationale if the resonances being produced arent of the whole number root, the healing is either not present or diluted.

• Like 1

Good summation, Creation - but I think one fundamental part of it that winds up getting missed is the implications this has on harmonics and resonance.

I'll use an equal tempered guitar analogy - the string ratios for all but one of the strings are fifths ascending, but fourths descending; therefore, a harmonic on the sixth string, fifth fret, will be the same as a harmonic on fifth string, seventh fret - its just where the ratios line up. That's just background - my point being that its easier to hear & tune by the harmonics because the Hz range differs much more quickly at the higher frequencies, more easily detected by the ears. So basically what I'm getting at is that even though these "roundings" are acceptable and coherent in their own particular idiom, the harmonics and resonances actually diverge much more from those whole number roots at the higher frequencies. Drew states "Nonwestern music healing works by transducing sound through natural resonance of frequency," so by that rationale if the resonances being produced arent of the whole number root, the healing is either not present or diluted.

Excellent point! I knew there was more to the story, and I'm glad you filled that in.

If you are composing a complex piece of music to be aesthetically judged solely by what immediately strikes the ear (melody, harmony, etc.) use equal temperament. If you are using sound for healing or energetic effect, use Pythagorean tuning or some such.

• Like 1

In keeping with the theme of this thread...I found Drew's Pythagorean brother.

An article on Pythagorean Harmonic Healing

All this talk of music is making me feel guilty that I've been neglecting my guitar and banjo.

You didnt read Drew's articles, did you :)

Its a rarity I ever have an instrument much more than spitting distance from me...unless I'm driving or something :D

You didnt read Drew's articles, did you :)

I've read some of them. Understanding them though is another story.

I take it from your comments Drew must have posted an article about Pythagoras being wrong or somehow ruining western music?

Edited by SereneBlue

Just found one of his articles.

I don't understand where Drew is saying Pythagoras was wrong. But then...a lot of what he writes goes over my head when it comes to math.

In China the ratio 2:3 is yang and the ratio 3:4 is yin and this is the same as in the law of Pythagoras with the Tetrad: 1:2:3:4. As the resonance of higher frequency occurs the pitch has decreased in proportion of natural numbers. We learn this as the harmonic series: 1:2 is the music interval for the octave. 2:3 is the perfect fifth. 3:4 is the perfect fourth. 5:4 is the major third. In fact the complete 12 notes of the music scale can be created just from the perfect fifth interval as the ratio 2:3. This is called "the circle of fifths" in the West: C-G-D-A-E-B-F#-C#-G#-D#-A#-E#(F)-C. Another way to understand this concept is that C-G is 2:3 but G-C is 3:4. In other words nonwestern music violates the equipartition principle that is the foundation of Western science and nonwestern music creates an infinite "spiral of fifths" resonating from the tetrad: 1:2:3:4. Quantum chaos also violates the equipartition principle which is why top scientists like Alain Connes and Brian Josephson now argue that music theory provides the formal language to understand quantum logic.

The crucial difference in the law of Pythagoras is that as the resonance of 2:3 goes higher in harmonics it does not return to the "same" C (as an octave in pitch). This problem of changing keys past octaves is called "the comma of Pythagoras" and finally became equal-tempered tuning but for a long time no one could change the law of Pythagoras because it was taught that the natural numbers were sacred. Only with equal-tempered tuning could true Western music be created -- with polyphonic chords and counterpoint orchestration, etc. Nonwestern music now sounds primitive and unsophisticated since it is often single-note melodies. In fact, again what was lost in the West was the concept of sound transduction throughout the whole energy spectrum! Psychic music healing is the secret for why Egyptian mathematics does not break down the ratio 2:3 but instead turns every other number into a fraction of 2:3 plus unit fraction ratios aka the harmonic series as the law of Pythagoras! http://www.open2.net/historyandthearts/dis...tianmaths2.html

The creation of statistics in the West, by the Bournelli family, was based on "disproving" the law of Pythagoras since it was argued that as the natural resonance overtones get higher the frequency becomes more out of tune. In fact this sounded out of tune only because transduction of energy was ignored. Ever since, those who claim the validity of Pythagorean healing are dismissed as cranks and lunatics. In actually Daniel Bournelli, Lagrange, Euler and others spent 40 years arguing over the true mathematics of the oscillating harmonic string. Fourier solved the problem by relying solely on sine wave mathematics but now with the addition of quantum chaos "wavelets" -- fractal-based fourier analysis -- the secret of artifical intelligence or "self-organized criticality" is spreading.

Edit: My eyes glazed over instantly but Math fans might find this article on The ancient Comma of Pythagoras interesting.

Edited by SereneBlue

SereneBlue -- you might the right decision! I'm AGAINST THE GUITAR AND BANJO -- it's better to find some old metal trashcans in an abandoned alley and get to it! haha.

In keeping with the theme of this thread...I found Drew's Pythagorean brother.

An article on Pythagorean Harmonic Healing

All this talk of music is making me feel guilty that I've been neglecting my guitar and banjo.

I eat dumpster-dived meat -- pizza, egg sandwiches, and then go home, watch cable while in full-lotus, eat garlic and have O at a Ds. haha. Yeah I'm totally deviant as in can barely live in civilization. I like to be in this big park with low population density but yesterday I was taking a nap in the brush and this dog discovered me. Dogs LOVE the shit smell! haha. But the two female owners of the dog kept saying "we're sorry" over and over -- I didnt' dare show them my face or talk to them because they'd find out the dog's secret. Instead I pondered how I enjoyed the dogs company better. haha. Language is also deceptive -- but the eyes of the dog were so friendly.

Drew seems to be a great and honest person. Little bit of Qigong deviance? lol. Just kidding. My kind of person for sure regardless. While so many people eat burgers and watch TV all day there are others like us that look for more then the mundane.

Can't wait to read the interview...

Always happy to read someone who has processed and understood my music model! haha. It's rare.

And to connect it directly to the yin/yang or Tai-chi symbol -- the secret symbol of Kepler who relied on Pythagorean harmonics was an equilateral triangle with a circle inscribed and a circle circumscribing the triangle. Now if the Tetrad is based on complementary opposite harmonics -- it's just like what I wrote about the tetrahedron -- Pythagoras is very explicit about this if you study the writings. So 1 is not a number but it's male while 2 is female, the first number as matter but is actually a reflection of the source of 1, the Goddess (what I call female formless awareness). So then 3 is the first male number and the product of 2:3 is 666 as the ratio for physical creation -- this then resonates as its complementary opposite, 3:4 which returns back to the source of reality.

I have no clue what you are talking about but 666 as the ratio for physical creation seems to have a link to 666 as the devils number with the devil being connected to the physical. Is 666 the chapter in the bible that first writes about the devil?

I have no clue what you are talking about but 666 as the ratio for physical creation seems to have a link to 666 as the devils number with the devil being connected to the physical. Is 666 the chapter in the bible that first writes about the devil?

That's not the devil's number, it's (a) man's number.

Yeah maybe 616 was the Devil's Number:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

But more fundamentally it was created from a "one-to-one correspondence" between Greek letters and Numbers which is also how Western math works, the commutative property. The irrational number, the square root of two, is the musical Tritone, the Devil's Interval in Western music. It was created through the same symmetry principle as I detail in my "Against Archytas" article -- you can find a couple different versions online.

When I learned how to dumpster dive, I was taught never to eat things like meat, eggs, and pizza. Then again, I never depended upon it, so I guess you know what you're doing.

'watch cable in full lotus'

BULLSHIT !!!! BULLSHIT !!! You cannot practice genuine meditation watching TV-- it 'funnels' your mind, -preventing it from expanding.

funny how you reject society and yet watch television?

why should you want to reject society at all in the first place?

GOD you know you fucking KILLED me, but you are so full of shit ! Even if you do have amazing qi-powers, this is a far stretch from enlightenment. You sound like a complete loser. Why don't you get a good job or something? -still living with your parents?

god... I cant believe that =p I mean, so even if you do have amazing qi powers, your life sucks and you likely have no concept of 'enlightenment'. :wacko:

• Like 1

:rolleyes:

Lifestyle choices are just that choices. While they are difficult to understand I do enjoy Drew's posts

My thread's been contaminated. haha.

Predictive powers too :)

This is awesome. Exactly. I killed myself and now I kill you! haha. I went 8 days on half a glass of water. After that I destroyed my journal and even Dr. Yan Xin's qigong meditation tape! I saw dead spirits! People were completely freaking out from the strength of my electromagnetic energy. I accidently pulled this old lady's spirit out of her skull and she immediately bawled for at least 15 minutes straight.

So this stuff goes totally against Western civilization and for the past 10 years my goal has been to try to integrate back into the West. When I went 8 days on no food and half a glass of water my mom SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER but I still healed her with love. That was an "exorcism."

Exorcism is real -- spirit possession is the emotional energy that gets stuck in our organs and possesses us, making us fixate on a thought without freedom of mind. Bliss and light lead to consciousness which is beyond bliss and light -- this is the secret message of nondualism. My model is "sound-current nondualism."

Even food is a possession -- the 3 worms of Taoism are the 3 grains -- rice, wheat and soy. Listen to the new Mantak Chia interview at http://martialdevelopment.com -- he states that in order to create an immortal spirit body you have to go without food. But again if you try that in the West you get locked up for trying to starve yourself to death. And it is dangerous.

Master Ni, Huang-chi of L.A. talks about "ghost pollution" -- Chunyi Lin says the same thing -- how he has to return to a room over and over until finally the ghosts are cleared out. So modern civilization has many hungry ghosts which then feed off people's lower emotions -- the energy of civilization:

anger, fear, worry, sadness and lust as overexcitement.

In order to eat properly it's important to not have much physical exercise but I bike to work because I don't like creating car pollution. Chunyi Lin and Jim Nance have big fancy SUVs! haha. Chunyi Lin's house is full of fancy new gadgets from the Mall of America -- as my friend told me when he went there for a healing. And people like Chunyi Lin and Mantak Chia encourage students to fly in from around the world for healing.

So Taoism has been integrated into Capitalism -- Dr. David Palmer's book Qigong Fever is an excellent analysis of this dynamic -- and in fact I discovered that the Tai-Chi symbol for Spring Forest Qigong -- the "long" wave of the yin and yang is exactly the same as a famous qigong master in China who came under scrutiny for commodifying and commercializing the qigong training.

Or consider the "crazy" tantra of OSHO -- the excellent book "Karma Cola" details how the Ashram in India regularly sent Americans to the U.S. embassy in India and then the OSHO students were promptly sent to mental institutions back at the states! Was OSHO wrong? It's like the terrorist full-lotus training in Japan -- the AUM cult which is STILL popular. It's apocalyptic and bizarre -- it's tantric.

Traditionally tantriks had to eat shit! And back in Africa the qigong training was tied directly to cannibalism -- read MODERNITY IN WITCHCRAFT -- an excellent book -- because healing magic relies on "eating the kin network" -- the female jing energy. The Bushmen called it "Collecting the N/um of young maidens." It's like really strong sexual tension where the female sucks up electromagnetic fields from your brain and in turn you suck up sex energy from the female.

In that scenario food is NOT an option -- yet because I bike 10 miles a day on average -- then I can't continue the "O at a D" fun on the bike (although females call out to me while I'm biking!)

One thing is the "Holier than thou" paradox of spiritual training. For example Jim Nance told me he wanted to help out his community -- the African-American community. And I'm sure he has so much -- he made a presentation at an Afrocentric conference in Chicago for example. But when I've talked to "Inner city" African-Americans about qigong they're response is:

Yeah well if they could do that healing for free but these Chinese want to come over here to make a bunch of money.

Fair enough! So I've been doing free healing -- but there's a cost to it in terms of food, and transportation, etc.

So I actually just moved into my sister's basement. I had been renting a room for $300 a month (on average) for the past 8 years. I stayed there because I had a precognitive dream about the room -- a couple of them. Anyway the rent jumped up with the property taxes sky-rocketing since it was part of the condo bust/boom (the corner condos started at $700,000 each). So I've lived here for just 2 months! haha.

But when I'm sitting in full-lotus I'm having O at a Ds through the walls and ceilings and then I have to eat tons of garlic to kill the parasites and toxins from regular food. The garlic smell then goes away with the cosmic orgasm magnetic bliss energy. haha.

I think my next move will be just to stay in the basement -- to stop biking -- and maybe do phone healing if people are interested. I then will have a totally clean diet -- bigu -- fast one day a week (the same day as Chunyi Lin -- monday -- and then eat a Vitamix meal of green -- a green smoothie, once a day, the rest of the week). I'll start charging just $10 per phone healing and then as my energy builds up I'll charge more.

Let me know if people are interested because I've worked at Clean Water Action for 10 years but they're automating -- using a speed dialer now -- and my new position there is not too good and the financial crisis completely cut the funding for Clean Water Action, plus there politically tied to the Democratic party now after the Campaign Finance Reform of 2006 -- read the book "Activism, Inc." for details -- by a Professor out east.

BTW -- this is the UNEDITED INTERVIEW RIGHT HERE -- it's 18 pages long! So I don't hold back at all and anyone who wants to "judge" me should take a peek! haha.

http://www.martialdevelopment.com/wordpres...rest-qigong.pdf

When I learned how to dumpster dive, I was taught never to eat things like meat, eggs, and pizza. Then again, I never depended upon it, so I guess you know what you're doing.

'watch cable in full lotus'

BULLSHIT !!!! BULLSHIT !!! You cannot practice genuine meditation watching TV-- it 'funnels' your mind, -preventing it from expanding.

funny how you reject society and yet watch television?

why should you want to reject society at all in the first place?

GOD you know you fucking KILLED me, but you are so full of shit ! Even if you do have amazing qi-powers, this is a far stretch from enlightenment. You sound like a complete loser. Why don't you get a good job or something? -still living with your parents?

god... I cant believe that =p I mean, so even if you do have amazing qi powers, your life sucks and you likely have no concept of 'enlightenment'. :wacko:

Edited by drewhempel