Sign in to follow this  
Guest C Yu C He Taiji

Seclusion and hermits

Guest C Yu C He Taiji

Hi,

I know that this topic has been discussed a few times before already but I thought I could give it a go anyway.

Since I started practicing Kunlun I had the strong wish to leave society for some time and practice in seclusion. In contrast to all the practices I did before with Kunlun I have the feeling that all I need to do is to "completely" sort things out in order to make progress. What scares me is that I do not know how to survive in the remoteness of the mountains (food, shelter...). If I am going I would choose either Wudangshan, Zhongnanshan or some other chinese mountain as I fel deeply connected to them through my Wudang teacher.

Your insight, critic or encouragement is highly appreciated

Chrisn

Chrisn,

Who is your teacher? I can personally help with Wudang as I have a lot of connections there. However, most of those places are not condusive to the type of living you are seeking unless you are a local. Most of the authorities will not allow you to live like a hermit there either. But if you just want to get away and stay there for a while and take in the beauty and sort things out that can be arranged.

Wudangspirit

Hi,

I know that this topic has been discussed a few times before already but I thought I could give it a go anyway.

Since I started practicing Kunlun I had the strong wish to leave society for some time and practice in seclusion. In contrast to all the practices I did before with Kunlun I have the feeling that all I need to do is to "completely" sort things out in order to make progress. What scares me is that I do not know how to survive in the remoteness of the mountains (food, shelter...). If I am going I would choose either Wudangshan, Zhongnanshan or some other chinese mountain as I fel deeply connected to them through my Wudang teacher.

Your insight, critic or encouragement is highly appreciated

Chrisn

Wudang -- Can you please clarify the status of Western meditators in China? For example I've read of Taoist Westerners in the U.S. who trained and ordained in Shanghai Taoist monasteries. But I could find no follow-up. I know other Westerners have posted here from China and continue to do so -- visiting and practicing in Taoist Monasteries.

I assume you have to know Chinese and then there's visa limits, etc. How many Westerners approximately are in China for long-term meditation -- say beyond 3 months? What's the options for monasteries for Westerners in China if at all?

And, as you've hinted, independent study there seems quite difficult. What happened to the American who had moved to China, was teaching English and then seeking to train Buddhists -- Westerners to come to China -- forgot his name but he seemed to have disappeared after posting regularly for several months.

Thanks.

I cannot speak for the status of meditators in China. Most people go to a kung fu school and learn some meditation or find a teacher there to train them. It's not like the movies for sure. The Taoist monasteries in china do no accept Westerners. You may get a teacher from a temple to teach you a lot (if they know english) but you won't live in the temple. For one the government doesn't allow it.

As for being ordained, the individuals may have well found a Master to ordain them for certain things like ceremonies or other things. But would still not receive the status of the other priests. After all they're Lao Wai.

As for the visa I think you can get a 3 month visa unlimited entry. I myself received a 2 year unlimited entry that is good for 3 month each stay. Basically you go to Hong Kong get a stamp and come right back.

I have never lived in China but have been there quite a lot and it would be an adjustment if you do not know the language or the culture. But if you're open and can take it then go for it. However, I do love it there and should the opportunity arrise I would live there.

Wudangspirit

Wudang -- Can you please clarify the status of Western meditators in China? For example I've read of Taoist Westerners in the U.S. who trained and ordained in Shanghai Taoist monasteries. But I could find no follow-up. I know other Westerners have posted here from China and continue to do so -- visiting and practicing in Taoist Monasteries.

I assume you have to know Chinese and then there's visa limits, etc. How many Westerners approximately are in China for long-term meditation -- say beyond 3 months? What's the options for monasteries for Westerners in China if at all?

And, as you've hinted, independent study there seems quite difficult. What happened to the American who had moved to China, was teaching English and then seeking to train Buddhists -- Westerners to come to China -- forgot his name but he seemed to have disappeared after posting regularly for several months.

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this