Upfromtheashes

Lifting Weights

I like your point of view.

I think it's better to look for a way to integrate eastern and western understanding, and fill up what's missing. Our culture is getting more and more syncretic, melting a lot of different approaches.

So there are no right and wrong, it depends on you and what you're looking for.

It's quite individual: I'm understanding more and more the importance of a master!

Lifting weights can be even a very good corrective practice. In my case it adjusted the muscle of my back and now I'm always straight, even when I sit 8 hours in front of a computer.

My kung fu and qigong practice gained a lot from weight lifting, from many point of view, the good posture is just one.

Yep, I think you and Gold have it right; striking a balance is the goal. In response to the initial question asked by this post, you have to be strong enough to feel your musculature in order to relax enough to feel your incipient energy work. Many people in the general population do not have that minimum level of strength. And strength training is most definitely corrective. When people complain of muscle tightness, cramping, or spasms, it's usually from a lack of strength in a particular muscle group in relation to surrounding muscle groups, called relative strength; weak muscles go into spasm when they can't keep up with the others. But instead of strenthening, people will often conclude that they need to stretch, not an entirely counter-intuitive choice, but often incorrect.

Edited by Blasto

Shamans of the old didn't think of the world in terms of substance. We just need to admit that. If we want to try to live the life of a shaman, we have to believe as they believed.

Favorite quote of the week!

I am aware of Russians using kettlebells for a very long time, but I don't know of any of them trying to develop chi at the same time. Chi is not a Russian concept, as far as I know. There is no Russian analogue for chi. When Russians want to discuss chi, they use loan words like we do in English. Perhaps if you stretch a bit, you can convince yourself that "boi na lubki" as practiced by the Opheni ethnic minority (originating from Greece, supposedly, and not exactly Russian in my view) is something that may combine weight training with "chi." Except there is no obvious analogue to chi and nakat (overwhelming of the opponents consciousness using non-contact methods) is explained with consciousness and symbols and not with chi. Plus there is no obvious advocacy of weight training either by any of the last surviving elders, who are all dead now, that I know of. Maybe I am missing something.

You're probably right about the Shaolin though. I think the monks there did perform both strength training and qi gong.

In systema there are many exercises of moving the breath to and through different parts of the body and using the breath to move the body. For instance the three basic exercises are pushups, situps and squats and in all three they stress keeping the body totally relaxed and without tension. Instead you're supposed to let the breath move the body.

They also use a 'wave punch' wherein you get a feeling of flow through your body/limb which you direct and extend beyond the strike. This is done with very little 'physical' effort and if you try to 'muscle' it then it doesn't work at all. When you do it right there are two distinct sensations. First you feel the actual impact. Then a moment or two later you feel a small explosion several inches in.

This seems very much like chi development and IMA to me but I could be wrong.

Hope that helps :)

Missing the higher confidence, self esteem, charisma, mojo, et al that accompanied my tri weekly 2 hr gym sessions. (pre laptop!)

Higher flow (peak experience) as well.

Yeah Blasto... bad laptop.

Working on getting the family to cut back as well.

This (interweb gigabiteland) has been the worst debilitating addiction for me save for dark roast coffee.

See ya at the gym

Edited by sifusufi

They also use a 'wave punch' wherein you get a feeling of flow through your body/limb which you direct and extend beyond the strike. This is done with very little 'physical' effort and if you try to 'muscle' it then it doesn't work at all. When you do it right there are two distinct sensations. First you feel the actual impact. Then a moment or two later you feel a small explosion several inches in.
Today, I felt like I opened "energy gates" in my joints during zhan zhuang...and got supported by the qi then flowing upwards through them and inflating like a balloon...with my muscles then being able to let go. So, this perhaps could be the difference between pengjin from opening your channels vs. holding movements with li (muscular strength)?

It's essentially the difference between a "bouncy, resilient" strength through "pneumatic" pressure pushing vs a "stiff, rigid" strength through tension cables (muscles & ligaments) pulling. Remember, all muscular movements are actually the result of muscles PULLING - whether you are pushing or pulling something. Whereas perhaps all "qi-based" movements would be the result of qi pushing...?

Edited by vortex

Missing the higher confidence, self esteem, charisma, mojo, et al that accompanied my tri weekly 2 hr gym sessions. (pre laptop!)

Higher flow (peak experience) as well.

Yeah Blasto... bad laptop.

Working on getting the family to cut back as well.

This (interweb gigabiteland) has been the worst debilitating addiction for me save for dark roast coffee.

See ya at the gym,

Rob

I'm not working out right now (bunionectomy post-op) but I did choose to replace TTB time with zhan zhuang, nei kung and dissolving. I've been averaging 3-4 hours a day for the last ten days; nei kung practice in the am followed by 45 min. of dissolving, another 45 before dinner, and another before bed. No point in attempting a written account of the results; we all know what happens.

Today, I felt like I opened "energy gates" in my joints during zhan zhuang...and got supported by the qi then flowing upwards through them and inflating like a balloon...with my muscles then being able to let go. So, this perhaps could be the difference between pengjin from opening your channels vs. holding movements with li (muscular strength)?

It's essentially the difference between a "bouncy, resilient" strength through "pneumatic" pressure pushing vs a "stiff, rigid" strength through tension cables (muscles & ligaments) pulling. Remember, all muscular movements are actually the result of muscles PULLING - whether you are pushing or pulling something. Whereas perhaps all "qi-based" movements would be the result of qi pushing...?

I`ve experience exactly the same uplifting inflating feeling but most noticeably in my spine. It felt great. I noticed that this energy corrected my alignment better then I did. My teacher said to rest in it and let myself be moved into the correct position by it.

Edited by markern