This is hillarious converstaion.I never even noticed this stuff.

You sound like a bunch of old uncles meeting up on the way from the shop and talking about disgraceful cashiers.

It is cute in a way . :)

Yes, like some crabby old uncles, we're decrying that the world ain't what it used to be! But in a sense, we are noticing another effect of technology, by being told what the change is by a machine and not having to figure it out in your head, it affects the way people interact. The old way was a much more couteous human interaction, the new way lacks any real contact.

I try sometimes to figure out how to make such interactions more human, I guess friendly conversation can do a lot, but it's the small gestures, oft-repeated throughout a day, that define us.

• Like 1

Yes, like some crabby old uncles, we're decrying that the world ain't what it used to be! But in a sense, we are noticing another effect of technology, by being told what the change is by a machine and not having to figure it out in your head, it affects the way people interact. The old way was a much more couteous human interaction, the new way lacks any real contact.

I try sometimes to figure out how to make such interactions more human, I guess friendly conversation can do a lot, but it's the small gestures, oft-repeated throughout a day, that define us.

Songs m'boy, you've nailed it.

LOOK AT THIS SCREEN

cool huh? :ninja:

I was at the store the other day and I ended up being overcharged $1.10. I went to the customer service counter to get my change back and the girl there added it up wrong, even after I told her it was a $1.10. She called her manager over and he got out a calculator and said, "well look at that, it was a $1.10!" Like I was some math wiz. I am horrible at math! What the heck are these kids learning in school these days?

Okay, that's my crabby uncle comment. Enough out of me.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

So it seems that being on the spiritual path often creates a sense of alienation from the predominant or popular culture. One can attempt to escape from it by living in a spiritual community, but that has it's drawbacks, plus there always remains a sense that one is vulnerable, that the spirituality can only exist fully in a rarified environment. Gurdjieff always advocated for being able to develop where one is in one's life, not to escape from it. Some good guru's also will 'kick you out' at some point to find your own way in the world.

So, in my opinion the best way really, is to develop a sense of presence and mindfulness. Vipassana is one way, I also believe that other paths provide this presence as a by-product, or indirect method. My objection to those who only seek to develop special powers (e.g., to become like John Chang), they most likely will lack the development of the essence, and will reinforce the ego and the persona.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth
  • Like 2

So it seems that being on the spiritual path often creates a sense of alienation from the predominant or popular culture. One can attempt to escape from it by living in a spiritual community, but that has it's drawbacks, plus there always remains a sense that one is vulnerable, that the spirituality can only exist fully in a rarified environment. Gurdjieff always advocated for being able to develop where one is in one's life, not to escape from it. Some good guru's also will 'kick you out' at some point to find your own way in the world.

So, in my opinion the best way really, is to develop a sense of presence and mindfulness. Vipassana is one way, I also believe that other paths provide this presence as a by-product, or indirect method. My objection to those who only seek to develop special powers (e.g., to become like John Chang), they most likely will lack the development of the essence, and will reinforce the ego and the persona.

Hi Tsode!

Yes, I am a believer in cultivation through my everyday life.

A sense of presence and mindfulness, being there in that moment fully.

No sense of desiring anything, no judgment, no attachment. Fully content in

what"s before you and able to continue that awareness moment by moment.

Flowing without attaching, experiencing without pointing to anything,

on the ride and totally focused on NOW.

Peace!

Hi Tsode!

Yes, I am a believer in cultivation through my everyday life.

A sense of presence and mindfulness, being there in that moment fully.

No sense of desiring anything, no judgment, no attachment. Fully content in

what"s before you and able to continue that awareness moment by moment.

Flowing without attaching, experiencing without pointing to anything,

on the ride and totally focused on NOW.

Peace!

Very nice.

You've just described Vipassana. IMHO the best way to cultivate mindfulness whatever your spiritual/religious inclination.

Waded into the masses of humanity today, spent some time in retail hell with the unwashed masses of Christmas shoppers. I have about an hour of tolerance for being in Materialism Land and then I begin to get this sense of 'gotta get outa here' and wanting to go home. Interestingly, I went to a display of Buddha relics that is here this weekend, and couldn't handle to scene there, either. Lots of people with hands pressed in front of them with beatific smiles on their faces around some very golden small Buddhist things. To my surprise, I stayed about 3 minutes and couldn't wait to get out of there, which I did. I did not like it. I have spent time in numerous Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in Nepal and loved that vibe, this one felt wrong to me. Oh, well. :(

Before going home, went to a place near my home where I used to live and sat feeling the vibe of the mountains towering beautifully nearby and healed myself. Ahhh... :)

I went to a display of Buddha relics that is here this weekend, and couldn't handle to scene there, either. Lots of people with hands pressed in front of them with beatific smiles on their faces around some very golden small Buddhist things. To my surprise, I stayed about 3 minutes and couldn't wait to get out of there, which I did. I did not like it. I have spent time in numerous Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in Nepal and loved that vibe, this one felt wrong to me. Oh, well. :(

Hi Songs, was it the Buddha Relic Tour ?

I attended one earlier in the year here in the UK.

Like you, I couldn't wait to get out after a few minutes. Fake sincerity and over religious weekend pseudo-buddhists.

I like my Dhamma pure and simple, Pali Canon style. The atmosphere at the relic tour thingy was overwhelming and suffocating.

I feel your pain. :)

Like you, I couldn't wait to get out after a few minutes. Fake sincerity and over religious weekend pseudo-buddhists.

I like my Dhamma pure and simple, Pali Canon style. The atmosphere at the relic tour thingy was overwhelming and suffocating.

Yep, that's the one. It's nice to know it wasn't just me. :)

Nice post.

I reckon - for myself - so far - that the point of "spiritual practice" is to get yourself "back" into a situation where you recognise your body/mind/spirit as one and the same AND you recognize anything that is not any of the latter to be the case.

• Like 1

Waded into the masses of humanity today, spent some time in retail hell with the unwashed masses of Christmas shoppers. I have about an hour of tolerance for being in Materialism Land and then I begin to get this sense of 'gotta get outa here' and wanting to go home. Interestingly, I went to a display of Buddha relics that is here this weekend, and couldn't handle to scene there, either. Lots of people with hands pressed in front of them with beatific smiles on their faces around some very golden small Buddhist things. To my surprise, I stayed about 3 minutes and couldn't wait to get out of there, which I did. I did not like it. I have spent time in numerous Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in Nepal and loved that vibe, this one felt wrong to me. Oh, well. :(

Before going home, went to a place near my home where I used to live and sat feeling the vibe of the mountains towering beautifully nearby and healed myself. Ahhh... :)

All good, love the towering mountains.

But, I think you were focusing on the wrong thing and picked up on the reflection of that focus. Really...

I would have been one of those people with a devotional smile on my face and pressed prayer hands, actually feeling the vibe of evoking blessings from historical Buddhas.

I know this to be true, as I've been around these things and experienced just that when people with no connection spoke like you and felt like you, thinking it true and those of use experiencing inspiration and devotion as charlatans and fakes.

Ah! Those that judge without knowing the truth? :huh:

You are very blessed to have been to Nepal and the Vajrayana monasteries... How nice!

• Like 1

Because you didn't feel the sincerity, doesn't mean it was fake.

Your dimension of experience is determined by your own state of mind and perception.

Life is kind of like looking into the mirror. :huh:

• Like 1

modern life for me is summed up so well here...

www.waykiwayki.com

sobering content....we do live in the materialistic age and a time of kali yuga. for me a poor person in a small town in eastern kentucky if a collapse hits not much will change here. @ themaninthesuit where you saw everyone as sheep and i understand what you mean, here on the other hand everyone is a wolf, not sure that is any better environment except does keep one on their toes, so to speak. modern life in regards to access to information via internet has been a tremendous resource being in a remote location and being able to exchange ideas with people from all corners of the earth has certainly been a big plus. i did have some limited herb knowledge with the local herbs here. now i have alot of information from china on this subject. i had never heard of qigong until i had been (wrongly)diagnosed with asthma. the internet let me find methods to heal myself using basic 5 element theory. also thru the interest in herbs, qigongs, martial arts i started looking at taoist ideas and reading books about taoism and the i ching. my life is much richer becoz of it. i also now practice some baguazhang and believe that in time i will be able to help(heal)others. i continue to carry water, chop wood literally. as far as the ills of modern life , truly there are many, what can a poor boy like me do about it anyways. i have an attitude of indifference and just try to benefit from what is available to me. i understand i am such a beginner with these types of knowledge and yet it has changed my life big time.

i continue to be curious/fascinated with the contents of this website. i can only wonder what i will discover next. hey i gotta go carry water/chop wood.

All good, love the towering mountains.

But, I think you were focusing on the wrong thing and picked up on the reflection of that focus. Really...

I would have been one of those people with a devotional smile on my face and pressed prayer hands, actually feeling the vibe of evoking blessings from historical Buddhas.

I know this to be true, as I've been around these things and experienced just that when people with no connection spoke like you and felt like you, thinking it true and those of use experiencing inspiration and devotion as charlatans and fakes.

Ah! Those that judge without knowing the truth? :huh:

You are very blessed to have been to Nepal and the Vajrayana monasteries... How nice!

All I know is, I went there expecting a certain vibe/experience and then when I got in there, it seemed like a traveling road show that people were in rapture of. I didn't feel it. Vajra, you undoubtedly would have loved it. I just felt claustrophobic in that small room and hadda get out of there. It felt like idolatry of these brightly lit, 24 carat gold buddha statuary that people were enraptured by, rather than a spiritual experience, but that's me, I guess.

All I know is, I went there expecting a certain vibe/experience and then when I got in there, it seemed like a traveling road show that people were in rapture of. I didn't feel it. Vajra, you undoubtedly would have loved it. I just felt claustrophobic in that small room and hadda get out of there. It felt like idolatry of these brightly lit, 24 carat gold buddha statuary that people were enraptured by, rather than a spiritual experience, but that's me, I guess.

I hear you, and I can see that perspective. I'm just saying that there are other perspectives and experiences available concerning the very same circumstance and environment.

One of the oddest things in life is aging. In fact, it seems downright weird to me that we get old. I know it should't, but it does. We all feel the same inside, yet the outer form changes, undergoes deterioration, no matter how well we take care of ourselves. I think one of the reasons many of us cultivate is to insure our health, and often we point to someone who looks much younger than their age as somehow 'doing something right', particularly if they cultivate. I think that genetics almost always is the determining factor in aging and how 'young' we look or feel. But of course, stress, smoking, obesity, drinking, drugs and other bad lifestyle choices will take their toll on our youthfulness.

I am thinking of this because I recently had the occasion to see some people I went to school with many years ago. I am fortunate in that i am not balding nor graying, or overweight, and I look more or less as an older and easily recognizable version of my younger self. But I was shocked at the aged transmogrification of some of my schoolmates. I find myself taken aback by listening to a familiar voice coming out of someone whom I know and yet would never recognize! It's almost disorienting, and yet to them, the change has happened slowly, day by day and year by year...I wonder, do they sometimes find themselves looking into a mirror or at a photograph of themselves in complete bafflement? Ultimately, things will catch up to me, unless cultivating qi gong and nei gung keeps my telomeres' act together...

One of the oddest things in life is aging. In fact, it seems downright weird to me that we get old. I know it should't, but it does. We all feel the same inside, yet the outer form changes, undergoes deterioration, no matter how well we take care of ourselves. I think one of the reasons many of us cultivate is to insure our health, and often we point to someone who looks much younger than their age as somehow 'doing something right', particularly if they cultivate. I think that genetics almost always is the determining factor in aging and how 'young' we look or feel. But of course, stress, smoking, obesity, drinking, drugs and other bad lifestyle choices will take their toll on our youthfulness.

I am thinking of this because I recently had the occasion to see some people I went to school with many years ago. I am fortunate in that i am not balding nor graying, or overweight, and I look more or less as an older and easily recognizable version of my younger self. But I was shocked at the aged transmogrification of some of my schoolmates. I find myself taken aback by listening to a familiar voice coming out of someone whom I know and yet would never recognize! It's almost disorienting, and yet to them, the change has happened slowly, day by day and year by year...I wonder, do they sometimes find themselves looking into a mirror or at a photograph of themselves in complete bafflement? Ultimately, things will catch up to me, unless cultivating qi gong and nei gung keeps my telomeres' act together...

Hi TSoDE!

It only feels weird to you because you have kept in touch with your true "ageless"

self, the same self that was a child , the same self that came into this plane

of existence complete and unspoiled by the society that damages us as we grow.

True aging only affects those that lose who they were with the progression of time.

Okay, I finally caved in and bought Amazon's book reader, the 'Kindle'. I don't plan to read all my books this way, but I am a book person, and own more books than I could ever hope to read. I like having a library that I can refer to, even if I won't get to read all the books I own.

Books are often like friends to me, and a book seems to somehow get 'charged' by the reader and what might be going on in their lives. As a physical object, the wabi sabi of getting (pencil) underlines and marginalia, dog-ears to pages, and the general wear and tear gives 'character' to the physical object.

I think I like the Kindle, and I can see how it will be useful; able to store 3,500 books on a single one. I always very often take 4 or 5 books with me when I take a trip or even when I go river rafting or backpacking. A Kindle allows much more variety without carrying extra weight. I like the dictionary feature, and the ability to change font size.

But I know I will never love the Kindle. There is something sterile about the experience of reading one, and it seems like I don't connect with the physical object like I would with a good book. I don't really care for the way the "print" appears on the "page", it's got an vague ugliness and utilitarian quality that is anti-romantic. And I usually have a romance with my books, no matter what the content. Just like I know I appreciate my iPad, but will never love it either. It makes my life easier, and sure is useful, but there is an emotional piece that is missing for me.

My cranky old uncle input is the way the news anchors talk down to us. I feel like they're talking to five year olds, not mature adults. I want to find a good friggin news show! I don't want this egocentric stuff they show on CNN, this fixation on celebrity and All Things U.S. God forbid we should be in an election cycle; it's as though the rest of the earth doesn't even exist.

It is possible to find world coverage, but doesn't it seem a bit odd that we have to go to someplace like Link TV and hear the news from Al Jazeera? This is ridiculous! And now they're depending so much on their I-Reporters (how much cheaper is that??) that they don't even have the real things posted around the world any more.

My other pet peeve is the way government feels that they have to protect us from ourselves. I'm sick to death of political correctness, but particularly all the safety procedures that we manage to put into place any time any little anomoly happens. And it always starts with the soccer-mom news anchors leading the charge, making sure "This Never Happens Again To Anybody". Jeez.

I'm sick of warnings being printed on plastic bags telling me not to swallow them. I'm sick of printing on a frozen food label that tells me that I have to cook this pizza before eating it. I'm really sick of having my intelligence insulted every time I turn around.

And yes, I do think our society is desensitizing. I don't think the soul knows the difference when someone is engaging in real life, or playing a video game. I think the soul reacts to the games as though it were real. When you slaughter so many people every day, it's bound to reap a bit of a harvest in your soul. But perhaps this is part of the evolution as well. Maybe those kids will be the ones flying space ships with joysticks and using their gaming skills, and yet be impervious to emotional distraction while they're doing it. Maybe that's why....

"Hello, you have reached Buddha's Toes Nail Salon. If you're having a life threatening emergency, please hang up and call 911. For manicures, press 1...blah blah blah".

OK, can we all just agree that if you are having a life threatening emergency you are to call 9-1-1??? Do we need to hear it on every recorded message for everything these days??? Can't we just assume that we're all grown up and won't be calling the dermatologist's office if we're having a massive heart attack???

"Hello, you have reached Buddha's Toes Nail Salon. If you're having a life threatening emergency, please hang up and call 911. For manicures, press 1...blah blah blah".

OK, can we all just agree that if you are having a life threatening emergency you are to call 9-1-1??? Do we need to hear it on every recorded message for everything these days??? Can't we just assume that we're all grown up and won't be calling the dermatologist's office if we're having a massive heart attack???

Oh God yes.