Everything

How to meditate

Herbert Benson says I should meditate! ;P

How do I meditate?

When I meditate, for example on a word, I try to visualize that word in front of me and focus on the pronouncing sound of that word. I hear it and see the letters, over and over again, untill I loose awareness over my relaxed body. Any other thoughts in my mind, I let go and focus back on my word.

Another way is, let the thoughts run trough my mind, stay aware of all my senses and any input that is received. Even when the dream process begins, I allow my thoughts to enhance that without intervering, simply staying aware of the whole process my mind is going trough, even the thoughts.

The first method, I don't really understand. Never found clear instructions about that one. You can do it trough all sorts of ways, like yoga, religious prayer, imagining sounds and focusing on that. Even jogging is a meditation on the repeating movement of your feet? Herbert Benson said something about a relaxation response. No idea what that is. Also, do I focus on the letters of the word, do I focus on the thought behind the word, do I focus on the sound of that word, do I focus on the smell of that word, do I focus on the taste of that word? I don't get it all.

How does it feel after you have meditated right? Do you feel without much thought, do you still have acces to that creative self? Are you more aware, less distracted by stress, less distracted by the petty details of your life? Less distracted by your lofty aspirations?

How does it feel after you have meditated right?

After meditation, sometimes i feel like i am in the back seat of a Bentley Mulsanne, being driven around the place, like the countryside, or perhaps along the coast, and just leisurely watching the scenery roll by.... without any cares. After a while, i could get a whiff of an odd smell, and then notice that my new puppy have pooped, and from the comfort of the ride, i would have to get up and quickly make a grab for the poop scoop. What a return to reality! Its a celebration!! :lol: Its called dignifying Reality, without having to alter any of it one bit.

• Like 1

Best is if you focus on your breathing. Visualise it, make it tangible, in and out and then let go of you.

Practice, diligence, wisdom and morality will make you a better meditator.

After meditation, sometimes i feel like i am in the back seat of a Bentley Mulsanne, being driven around the place, like the countryside, or perhaps along the coast, and just leisurely watching the scenery roll by.... without any cares. After a while, i could get a whiff of an odd smell, and then notice that my new puppy have pooped, and from the comfort of the ride, i would have to get up and quickly make a grab for the poop scoop. What a return to reality! Its a celebration!! :lol: Its called dignifying Reality, without having to alter any of it one bit.

With a description like that! You seem like an experienced meditator :lol:

Have you ever tried not to meditate for a while? What will happen then

Edited by Everything

Best is if you focus on your breathing. Visualise it, make it tangible, in and out and then let go of you.

Practice, diligence, wisdom and morality will make you a better meditator.

Last time I did this practice, lying in the bed on my back with my eyes closed and all the muscles in my body entirely relaxed. I lost awareness over my body as if they were not there, my mind was clear. When I started to move again, it felt weird and I had stinging sensations all over my muscles, as if they were numb. As if I had no more blood flow, the feeling you get when you sleep on your arm. But my arm was completely comfortable on my side on the bed! Whats up with that.

Did I meditate for too long? Or should I perhaps do this breathing focus while standing? Like a stance, or something.

Edited by Everything

The easiest instruction:

Take a comfortable position. Gently bring you attention to your breath. Do not try to control or change your breath. Count your breaths, from 1 to 10. When you reach 10, start again at one. If your attention wanders, gently bring it back to the breath.

Resources:

Anapana

Mindfulness

Hello Everything,

I meditated everyday for nearly 20 years using the same method. I sat in a lazy lotus position (I have bad knees so I can't do a full lotus) and just focused on my breath in and out. I would try to still my mind of thoughts, instead paying attention to my breath, until I was able to reach a state of silence. It takes awhile to be able to reach that state of silence, but once you start practicing and do it enough you can reach that state quite quickly.

With that said, there are different methods of meditation, so I would suggest reading up on the topic. Some people do meditate on words or use mantras, the purpose isn't quite the same as focusing on breath, rather it's used when one desires to meditate on a specific topic or focus. Again, I would suggest trying to figure out what you want to get out of meditating.

Another area of meditation that's useful is using self-hypnosis. With self-hypnosis you can do some pretty amazing things, including pain management, biometrics, etc. (It's not just used to quit smoking anymore.) In fact they're using hypnosis in lieu of anesthesia in surgery these days. I would just be wary of a lot of the self-help new age stuff out there, because it's not based on sound principles and seems to be focused on achievement rather than greater awareness of one's self.

Aaron

Hello Everything,

I meditated everyday for nearly 20 years using the same method. I sat in a lazy lotus position (I have bad knees so I can't do a full lotus) and just focused on my breath in and out. I would try to still my mind of thoughts, instead paying attention to my breath, until I was able to reach a state of silence. It takes awhile to be able to reach that state of silence, but once you start practicing and do it enough you can reach that state quite quickly.

With that said, there are different methods of meditation, so I would suggest reading up on the topic. Some people do meditate on words or use mantras, the purpose isn't quite the same as focusing on breath, rather it's used when one desires to meditate on a specific topic or focus. Again, I would suggest trying to figure out what you want to get out of meditating.

Another area of meditation that's useful is using self-hypnosis. With self-hypnosis you can do some pretty amazing things, including pain management, biometrics, etc. (It's not just used to quit smoking anymore.) In fact they're using hypnosis in lieu of anesthesia in surgery these days. I would just be wary of a lot of the self-help new age stuff out there, because it's not based on sound principles and seems to be focused on achievement rather than greater awareness of one's self.

Aaron

Wow, you're all the way on the other side already!

My purpose is to practice emotional mastery, as I had borderline in the past. Facing my fear couragiously does the job, but I've found that meditations allows me to bring my mind to rest when I want it to, plus recognize that fear when it is there. Also does it allow me to refresh in order to head back in the field without being distracted to easily by our lofty aspirations or the petty details of our life.

Now, I've come to a point in my life where I require more emotional mastery for my artistic endeavours. I can control the sad/angry emotions on the emotional spectrum pretty well. Crafting the sad and angry mood trough the use of music is, therefore, easy for me.

How can meditation lead me to feel more happiness and fear on the emotional spectrum, aswell? This is my current goal. To create more joyful moods, mysterious moods, scary moods, etc. This is very dificult if I cannot bring up joyful and fearful emotions on will, simply by thinking about it.

Edited by Everything

I have recently been sidetracked into practices and study that have taken me away from the path to wisdom.

Metaphysical, unproven, speculative and theoretical, instead of practical and proven.

It has all been a waste of time and energy.

For me, the Pali suttas contain the methods necessary for meditation, and for living a wholesome life.

I recently came across

, which is the best explanation I've seen.

Simple, straightforward, and proven. Enjoy.

I have recently been sidetracked into practices and study that have taken me away from the path to wisdom.

Metaphysical, unproven, speculative and theoretical, instead of practical and proven.

For me, the Pali suttas contain the methods necessary for meditation, and for living a wholesome life.

I recently came across

A1! Thanks.

Great checklist.

His book is excellent, and has been recommended on this forum many times:

Anapanasati Sutta

I recently came across

Edited by forestofemptiness

Hello Everything,

Aaron

Hi Aaron :)

You meditated every day for 20 yrs? wow thats some dedication ;) why did you stop? - if you dont mind me asking.

I recently came across

Thanks for the video. This totally confirmed every way I've been ignoring instructions lol, like focusing on a spot in front of me the entire time, keeping the eyes open all the time. From studying Taoism I knew that relaxing and letting that feeling guide the meditation would be the most beneficial for my purposes. When I try focusing on one point with my eyes open the whole time I felt like I had too much coffee eventually, too much chaotic energy in my head from over focus. Not thoughts, just chaotic energy. Relaxing the brain... exactly.

There is a sutra where the Buddha instructs his first disciples (children) to eat a tangerine and be aware of the whole thing. When applied to a tangerine this is very easy. There's so much sensation in eating a tangerine. I feel the same applies with meditation. There are so many sensations to be aware of, but not with the mind. Like the brain is aware of it relaxing, the shoulders and arms are aware of themselves relaxing, rather than the mind being aware of it. This way the mind does not become too officious in the meditation.

For the original poster, you should do your meditation in a sitting position with an upright posture and relaxed shoulders, arms, neck, mind, etc.. The bad feelings in your muscles was probably from lying down the whole time, though you'll have new pains in your legs or back when your getting started. Also, if you want to increase the experiences of fear - you're in the wrong place man :lol: . Proper meditation should eliminate such feelings.

As the above video quoted, though, feelings of "I don't want this, I hate that" are mixed up with fear. Overcoming these feelings will make you much stronger, but being aware of them might be more motivation to eliminate them, though awareness of them is not necessary in the process of true cultivation.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

I recently came across

Beautiful talk - thanks for that link.

I recently came across

Totally in tune with scientific reality. Precize description, backed up by deep and wise philosophy.

Thanks for sharing that video. Might not have come across it otherwise.

I love Anapana. It's the meditation practice that I've by far had the most success with. I start out the first few minutes doing the 6 Healing Sounds very softly a few times per organ each. Then I'll settle into Anapana which to me is very Taoist in approach. I've had far more success in slowly softening my thoughts with Anapana than I ever did with Shamatha (focused concentration meditation).

Like Harmonious whenever I did Shamatha focusing on my nose it only seemed to increase my agitation and monkey mind. On a few occasions it would make my face ache simply because I could feel chi starting to congest there (looks like I've got some blockages to work out in that region).

After doing Anapana for a while I'll then shift to being gently aware of my Lower Dantien.

That way I know I'm cultivating both the mind and the body. It's very relaxing and for me rejuvenating.