Jetsun

Recommend me some films or documentaries

From this forums recommendation I recently watched 'IP Man' which is a kung fu movie about Bruce Lee's master, which I thought was really good so I watched IP Man 2 and 3 as well :) and I also watched 'King of Masks' which is a very moving brilliant Chinese film. Seeing as everyone here has such good taste can you recommend me any more similar to this?

For my own recommendation I really enjoyed recently 'Unforgotten Child' which is a sort of docu film about how they select new reincarnated masters within Buddhism. Also 'Black Swan' does a really good portrayal of the dark side and neurosis, good but also quite disturbing.

• Like 2

Ninja Assassin. Kickass movie. Just make sure you have anti virus protection or you may completely screw up your comp if you're watching it online.

I just got my comp back from a similar fate.

Edited by InfinityTruth

'Source Code' is great and thought provoking spiritual suspense, with references to 'Jacob's Ladder', a movie about the Bardo state after death.

'

I loved that movie!

Did you see The Fountain by Aronofsky?

I haven't, I will check it out, thanks!

I recently watched two very good kung-fu movies. I think you will enjoy 14 Blades (with Donnie Yen) and True Legend. Got them both from Amazon for peanuts... a couple of euro each is all.

I LOVE Jet Li fillums! ll the way from the early Shao Lin ones up to todays epics.

And my favourite classic MA movie is "Drunken Master" - the really old Jackie Chan one ( not the remake)

I just watched Milarepa --> twas good.

I LOVE Jet Li fillums! ll the way from the early Shao Lin ones up to todays epics.

And my favourite classic MA movie is "Drunken Master" - the really old Jackie Chan one ( not the remake)

I just watched Milarepa --> twas good.

Call me childish, but i think Donnie Yen can whoop Jet Li's ass anytime!! haha :lol:

Incidentally, True Legend is about the rise of the founder of Drunken Fist kung fu. Pretty spectacular martial arts in the movie! Get it!

Milarepa i enjoyed too...

Confucius with Chow Yun Fat is a really good film.

I'm looking forward to see the Shaolin Temple film with Jackie Chan when it gets a UK release.

Here are a few I like, be forewarned I have eccentric tastes in film -

Enter the Void - Gaspard Noe Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead and a DMT trip, very long, bizarre, and beautiful

El Topo - Alejandro Jodorowsky An allegoric Western imbued with Eastern philosophy and outrageous imagery

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter,... and Spring - Kim ki-duk Set in a Korean Buddhist monastery - brilliant

Kung Fu Hustle - Stephen Chow One of my all time favorite martial arts films, I never get tired of it

Pan's Labyrinth - Guillermo del Toro Visually and emotionally stunning

• Like 2

edit: whoops, wrong topic

but while I'm here, check out the Magical Egypt series on youtube, and WuDang: Cradle of Taoism series there too.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Hi,

Just saw this thread first time now.

'Travellers and magicians' is a good movie made by a buddhist teacher Khyentse Norbu Rinpoche:

also 'The cup' by the same director.

And one of my favourites is amazing

'Baraka'

Recently saw 'Taiji Master' and its good and enetertaining.

oh um when it gets released stateside if it does or gets a fansub um will be watching "Buddha" ny osamu tezuka

I'm looking forward to see the Shaolin Temple film with Jackie Chan when it gets a UK release.

I bought this on dvd the other day and I have to say that I was slightly disappointed.

Maybe I was expecting a bit more actual Shaolin history/culture/martial arts while instead it seemed to be more focussed on feuding military generals with the temple as the battleground. With the film being Chinese and a lot of the actors still residents there, I guess they can't really show the murder and atrocities which actually took place, for fear of reprisals.

A film detailing what actually happened to Chinese spiritual, martial and religious culture is definitely overdue.

the film has gone and now is back due to mysterious reasons :ph34r::ninja: and one more for the effect :ninja:

Fantastic film by Korean director Ki Duk Kim

'Spring, summer, autumn, winter..spring' set in Buddhist monastery,it is medtitation on life and time.

You can see it on the You tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EII4ZmT47Oc

Edited by suninmyeyes

http://www.thelastanchoritefilm.co.uk/#

About a Christian hermit living in the desert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFbjDcz_CbU

The Life of the Buddha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn59VklXTkM&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1

The Life and Times of Jesus Christ

Ramana Maharsi, Indian yogi and mystic.

Amongst White Clouds. Chan Buddhist hermits.

...everything is a trial, you can't be afraid of hardship, the more the hardship, the more you move forward. There is physical hardship but the mental hardship is most important."

From this forums recommendation I recently watched 'IP Man' which is a kung fu movie about Bruce Lee's master, which I thought was really good so I watched IP Man 2 and 3 as well :) and I also watched 'King of Masks' which is a very moving brilliant Chinese film. Seeing as everyone here has such good taste can you recommend me any more similar to this?

The first Ip Man was quite good but the second I thought was a great let down and unfortuantely both movies wander terribly from the truth. Part 3 is a prequel and was made seperately from the other two movies and technically it is incorrect to call it part 3.

Ever seen The Prodigal Son? Based on historical figures involved with the Wing Chun system.

Wong Kar Wai is about to release a version of the Ip Man story called The Grandmasters starring Tony Leung but based on the following trailer I'm not so sure of how accurate that will be -

I also echo the sentiment in regard to Shaolin as to why we cannot see a true representation of the story rather than it too also being muddied by jingoism and falsehoods!

"Arhats in Fury" is very nice classic film about Zealots, Shaolin and the question of Violence or non violence. The fight szenes belong to one of the non wire fu stuff

with good story with good actors.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter,... and Spring - Kim ki-duk Set in a Korean Buddhist monastery - brilliant

great film, "lust leads to the desire to possess, the desire to possess leads to the desire to kill."

also check out this one: "Freedom behind bars"

it is a documentary about applying vipassana in a prison in alabama. very good docu, worth the watch.

http://www.tm.org/blog/people/freedom-behind-bars-transforming-lives-inmates-guards/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenny-phillips/freedom-behind-bars_b_268586.html

http://www.dhammabrothers.com/

Edited by Desert Eagle

want to second El Topo (also Holy Mountain by Jodorowski), Spring, Summer...., and Pan's Labyrinth!

which means i will be watching kung fu hustle and enter the void soon :) thanks steve