Sign in to follow this  
bodyoflight

Relationships and Children will only curb your spiritual cultivation

it is all about me and the creator..

the rest of humanity does not factor into the equation..

This brief but profound statement betrays the shallowness of your understanding.

You are absolutely correct - you must look inward, very deeply, and very diligently.

It may take a very long time.

I do not mean to be offensive but you are also absolutely correct regarding your opinion of relationships and children.

You are not yet ready to have meaningful relationships and you are certainly not fit to reproduce.

Good luck in you search.

Like most things that matter in life, the experience of parenthood, childbirth, love, relationships, pretty much all that matter when you lie on your deathbed, is all a great mystery. Its neither a hindrance nor a great inducer. But its a gift, and before you have a deep relationship, or hear the first cry of our son or daughter, discussion only leads us astray.

Good relationships, bad relationships, sleeping children, crying children, all reveal the great mystery of how we are entagled, immersed and part of this one reality. Feeling the pain, blessings and obstacles that this life gives us, we are given this wonderful opportunity to let go of what is not real, and see that we must face our own nature in total aloneness.

h

_/\_ thank you for sharing that

i totally understand u bodyoflight a lot of things has happen to me to find my self see those with children and a wife would not understand because there attached to them blessed are those who have no attachments to find them self remenber the buddha quit his life and his wife and son to find him self

it is all about me and the creator..

the rest of humanity does not factor into the equation..

If you believe God is All, as you have told us several times now that you do, it sure does.

I hope you do well in India.

i totally understand u bodyoflight a lot of things has happen to me to find my self see those with children and a wife would not understand because there attached to them blessed are those who have no attachments to find them self remenber the buddha quit his life and his wife and son to find him self

First: I am not picking on you personally,time to change, but this example to me always begs to be put in context. This is just my opinion.

I wonder if the Buddha lived now and he left his wife and child to pursue his own agenda, regardless of how high an ideal, would he get sued for child support? Would people say he was spiritually stunted?

Buddha was royalty so we would see a lot discussion on youtube, the forums, etc. about that he was a deadbeat dad? I can just imagine the comments on videos? Does he pay child support? Since we have such a intense focus on celebrity in this time would his face be showing up on People Magazine or on Entertainment Tonight? That begs an interesting question: Could Buddha even become the Buddha in 2011?

We don't live in Buddha's time. Can we expect the same things to unfold for us the way it did for him then? Now he could probably hire his own spin doctor to do damage control for his reputation. But there has already been a lot of sanitizing about his life then. That's the nature of a religious icon.

He wasn't really royalty. He was of wealthy, aristocratic warrior caste. The prince rep was added 3 or more centuries later.

Let's look at his culture then if we ask ourselves, "what would Buddha do." We must look at his renunciation of his society and time in that context.

Buddha decided at 29 to leave his family and become a wandering spiritual seeker mendicant (beggar). He wanted to understand the nature of suffering. He did not just walk away and leave his family without anything.

He would have had a wealthy extended family that looked over his wife and son while he was gone. The fact that he was a warrior it would have been expected at some time to leave his family for battles. I am not sure but I don't think warriors take their families with them to war.

I wonder how many dedicated elite soldiers do we have here on this forum. They would understand the rigors and discipline of military life. Buddha was a soldier. I am almost sure he would apply the same level of dedication of his training as a warrior to that of a spiritual seeker. Does anybody here really apply that level of dedication to their spiritual path? I haven't. That it in itself would separate the Buddhawannabes from sincere, dedicated seekers.

So today, if one is seeking to follow the renunciation path...it is the responsible thing to make sure your parents and family are cared for while you are gone. It is not "tough luck, Chuck. It is just me and God and you can take of yourselves from now on and I am a more better person than you for doing it."

I find it ironic that those who follow that path want to learn about overcoming suffering but fail to see the suffering they may cause by leaving.

I am no way a scholar about Buddha but it does help to do a little more research to understand the depth and consequence of making a commitment to leave family and loved ones to over come and understand suffering without having any self awareness of how the life that you choose makes your family suffer.

If you must you must but at least be cognizant that your desires can have unexpected results.

Not to say you shouldn't, but one can almost always find a better way if one just looks.

• Like 3

and it's always a pleasure to hear from you Susan :wub:

Thanks for sharing.

and it's always a pleasure to hear from you Susan :wub:

Thanks for sharing.

it's all about perspective and common sense for me, Mal. :wub:

I teach a lot for free. Like in a thursday night study group I lead and on Monday I lead a healing class and do free energy work.

I tell people if they want to insult me and have me insult them back, then they have to pay for a session with me.

For you I make special deal...$200 US.

Sweetness and light and love is free. Wake up calls are gonna cost big time.

Like, like ^_^

First: I am not picking on you personally,time to change, but this example to me always begs to be put in context. This is just my opinion.

I wonder if the Buddha lived now and he left his wife and child to pursue his own agenda, regardless of how high an ideal, would he get sued for child support? Would people say he was spiritually stunted?

Buddha was royalty so we would see a lot discussion on youtube, the forums, etc. about that he was a deadbeat dad? I can just imagine the comments on videos? Does he pay child support? Since we have such a intense focus on celebrity in this time would his face be showing up on People Magazine or on Entertainment Tonight? That begs an interesting question: Could Buddha even become the Buddha in 2011?

We don't live in Buddha's time. Can we expect the same things to unfold for us the way it did for him then? Now he could probably hire his own spin doctor to do damage control for his reputation. But there has already been a lot of sanitizing about his life then. That's the nature of a religious icon.

He wasn't really royalty. He was of wealthy, aristocratic warrior caste. The prince rep was added 3 or more centuries later.

Let's look at his culture then if we ask ourselves, "what would Buddha do." We must look at his renunciation of his society and time in that context.

Buddha decided at 29 to leave his family and become a wandering spiritual seeker mendicant (beggar). He wanted to understand the nature of suffering. He did not just walk away and leave his family without anything.

He would have had a wealthy extended family that looked over his wife and son while he was gone. The fact that he was a warrior it would have been expected at some time to leave his family for battles. I am not sure but I don't think warriors take their families with them to war.

I wonder how many dedicated elite soldiers do we have here on this forum. They would understand the rigors and discipline of military life. Buddha was a soldier. I am almost sure he would apply the same level of dedication of his training as a warrior to that of a spiritual seeker. Does anybody here really apply that level of dedication to their spiritual path? I haven't. That it in itself would separate the Buddhawannabes from sincere, dedicated seekers.

So today, if one is seeking to follow the renunciation path...it is the responsible thing to make sure your parents and family are cared for while you are gone. It is not "tough luck, Chuck. It is just me and God and you can take of yourselves from now on and I am a more better person than you for doing it."

I find it ironic that those who follow that path want to learn about overcoming suffering but fail to see the suffering they may cause by leaving.

I am no way a scholar about Buddha but it does help to do a little more research to understand the depth and consequence of making a commitment to leave family and loved ones to over come and understand suffering without having any self awareness of how the life that you choose makes your family suffer.

If you must you must but at least be cognizant that your desires can have unexpected results.

Not to say you shouldn't, but one can almost always find a better way if one just looks.

Excellent post Susan, excellent!

Couldn't have expressed it even half as well. As an adjunct note: when adult, in order to be accepted as a monk or nun, the monasteries demand that one have permission from one's parents.

The end does not justify the means; a sick root produces sick branches.

Most people don't work 16 hours per day. You can easily cultivate 8 hours daily and 14 in your free days - IF you sincerely think it is important to you. The "run into a cave" mentality I see here and there seems like an attitude often encountered in lazy meditators who think that a trip to shangri-la magically will end their procrastination.

Mandrake

• Like 1

the lord buddha has achieved enlightenment..

you, who preached that his way is the wrong way, has not achieved enlightenment..

results are all that matter ..

you have not attained any spiritual realizations as high as lord buddha so why would anyone listen to you?

if i have to forego the whole world in order to regain enlightenment, then so be it..

spirituality, as with life, is full of big mouths who have not done it before but yet is full of so-called "opinionated advice" on what is the right way..

i may hold certain strong views on this forum but all my teachings are given to me by men and women who have achieved much higher spiritual attainments than you have... Susan..

so please do not be angry when i say you are not fit to contradict or criticize the route lord buddha had taken ...

unless you have already achieved enlightenment which i highly doubt so..

Edited by bodyoflight

Excellent post Susan, excellent!

Couldn't have expressed it even half as well. As an adjunct note: when adult, in order to be accepted as a monk or nun, the monasteries demand that one have permission from one's parents.

The end does not justify the means; a sick root produces sick branches.

Most people don't work 16 hours per day. You can easily cultivate 8 hours daily and 14 in your free days - IF you sincerely think it is important to you. The "run into a cave" mentality I see here and there seems like an attitude often encountered in lazy meditators who think that a trip to shangri-la magically will end their procrastination.

Mandrake

at least the "lazy meditators" have more time and opportunities to focus more time and energy for themselves..

are you jealous that your nagging spouse and screaming kids are taking time away from your cultivation?

let's face it.. if you are not strong enough to make the necessary sacrifices in taking the fast route, then be prepared to suffer in the slow road..

Edited by bodyoflight

if i have the chance to start a new religion in the world, i will demand that everyone of my student give up sex and martial relationships in order to concentrate on their spiritual work..

i have seen many practitioners and it is no surprise that those who gave up sex and martial relationships have achieved much more than those who still waste their time and energies in martial relationships..

the number of single practitioners who achieved results is far greater than the number of married practitioners who achieved similar results..

spirituality as in other aspects of life is a game where strategies apply..

one would be a fool if one is to expose himself to the additional stresses of marriage and children if one has not attained inner enlightenment at least..

if you can only lift a 25 pound weight, why pretend you can lift a 100 pound one?

so those of you who wanna remain in martial relationships, by all means do so? who am I to change your outlook?

who are you to change my outlook?

at least the "lazy meditators" have more time and opportunities to focus more time and energy for themselves..

are you jealous that your nagging spouse and screaming kids are taking time away from your cultivation?

let's face it.. if you are not strong enough to make the necessary sacrifices in taking the fast route, then be prepared to suffer in the slow road..

Why are people obsessed with the fast route in these modern times ?

Why does only the slow road cause suffering?

• Like 1

Why are people obsessed with the fast route in these modern times ?

Why does only the slow road cause suffering?

Why do people not try their best to get out of the cycle of rebirth and death?

Why do they not see that the slow road causes suffering?

Even those spiritual teachers who are married.. more than one had told me that their spouse and children take time away from their cultivation..

the only reason why anyone would fail to see that marriage and children is counter-productive to cultivation is that these people are to weak to withstand the spiritual forces binding them to marriage, work, children and other trappings of society..

to get reborn into a new life, you have to destroy all remnants of your old one.. including abandoning your spouse and children to find enlightenment if need be.. like what lord buddha did..

this will then show the universe and the higher beings how dedicated you are, how desperate you, how you will sacrifice everything to find god...

and even when you die in the end without achieving anything.. rest assured that the Lord Creator himself would be moved by your dedication to him..

Edited by bodyoflight

and even when you die in the end without achieving anything.. rest assured that the Lord Creator himself would be moved by your dedication to him..

You speak of the Buddha, then you speak of the creator.

If you had any grasp of the teachings of Shakyamuni, especially conditioned arising, and put those into meditative practice, then you would realize there is a glaring contradiction.

You still haven't answered my question, who created the creator ?

You won't find the answers in India, only within yourself.

the lord buddha has achieved enlightenment..

you, who preached that his way is the wrong way, has not achieved enlightenment..

results are all that matter ..

you have not attained any spiritual realizations as high as lord buddha so why would anyone listen to you?

if i have to forego the whole world in order to regain enlightenment, then so be it..

spirituality, as with life, is full of big mouths who have not done it before but yet is full of so-called "opinionated advice" on what is the right way..

i may hold certain strong views on this forum but all my teachings are given to me by men and women who have achieved much higher spiritual attainments than you have... Susan..

so please do not be angry when i say you are not fit to contradict or criticize the route lord buddha had taken ...

unless you have already achieved enlightenment which i highly doubt so..

you are so confused.... there you go making assumptions about me again. All you saw was criticism. What I said was how to have clarity in context about how you make decisions. Buddha did the right thing and took care of his family before he left. Obviously, you didnt read what I wrote but more like had no understanding of what I wrote. I am not angry. In fact, your posts often make me shake my head in disbelief because you understand so little. It's hard to be angry at a 3 year old who sees himself as the egocentric center of his and everybody else's world.

This is just my opinion. Others may think differently of you. Who am I to judge your path or for you to judge mine?

i dont feel the need to roll out my "spiritual" pedigree here. So please don't be angry when I offer you are not fit to offer criticism about me at all. Buddha can defend himself. He doesn't need anyone to defend him. The art of apologetics has always been something I thought was redundant. Like, as if God, needs someone to stick up for him and explain his actions.

have a good time in India.

Why do people not try their best to get out of the cycle of rebirth and death?

Why do they not see that the slow road causes suffering?

Even those spiritual teachers who are married.. more than one had told me that their spouse and children take time away from their cultivation..

the only reason why anyone would fail to see that marriage and children is counter-productive to cultivation is that these people are to weak to withstand the spiritual forces binding them to marriage, work, children and other trappings of society..

to get reborn into a new life, you have to destroy all remnants of your old one.. including abandoning your spouse and children to find enlightenment if need be.. like what lord buddha did..

this will then show the universe and the higher beings how dedicated you are, how desperate you, how you will sacrifice everything to find god...

you would never make it in bon po or tantra. A dakini would probably kill you out of annoyance. Hopefully she would just kill your sense of self, which to me is more of the ego, and just not your body.

people get this abandoning all for God thing all screwed up, IMO. As if God really cares about you and me and all our petty, needy desires.

it is really about saying your love and desire to know and be god has to be so great that the love you have for anyone or anything else will look like filth and waste in comparison. Don't worry. Christian ascetics can get it all confused too.

the paradox is that when you achieve that state of love and devotion the whole world and it's inhabitants are then included in this love. God is All. If one truly loves, honors, and respects Self this becomes self evident. Service and love to others becomes a spontaneous expression of the innate gentleness which is present in us all.

I would recommend you do some chi kung exercises that focus on detoxifying and harmonizing your liver.

good luck in India but if you are going to Tibet it sounds like you will need it even more.

May you get everything your heart desires. I could say, May all your karma be balanced in one week but that would be cruel.

Edited by ShaktiMama

if i have the chance to start a new religion in the world, i will demand that everyone of my student give up sex and martial relationships in order to concentrate on their spiritual work..

i have seen many practitioners and it is no surprise that those who gave up sex and martial relationships have achieved much more than those who still waste their time and energies in martial relationships..

the number of single practitioners who achieved results is far greater than the number of married practitioners who achieved similar results..

one would be a fool if one is to expose himself to the additional stresses of marriage and children if one has not attained inner enlightenment at least..

if you can only lift a 25 pound weight, why pretend you can lift a 100 pound one?

so those of you who wanna remain in martial relationships, by all means do so? who am I to change your outlook?

Well, some people have already done this and have made a much bigger success. Roman Catholicism. This is their dogma too.

good luck on creating your mega church but there are other churches out there who have been saying and doing the same thing much longer than you.

Your religon wouldn't last long...

Acheived 'what' exactely? What were they trying to achieve? One achievement can't be held higher than another. It depends on the individual's desires.

Measureable by who? What are these achievements? I don't know what acheivement could be greater than creating another life?

I don't think you know what you're talking about because planning and strategies are beginners tools in spirituality. Once your immortal fetus is born it's about going with the flow and dropping those plans. Wife and children force you into the tao

The way you speak it seems you should do a university degree on golf before you even pick up a club. And only after much practice you would realise the degree didn't help you any.

If you can only lift a 25 pound weight you get friends to help you lift the 200 pound one instead of struggling to lift the 100 pound one by yourself.

I think you are right to some extent. But only because you are looking at it in a straight forward manner. You think if you take 10 steps forward you will be 10 steps ahead. But what about if you take one step to the side you could be 500 steps infront. The marriage / children could BE your cultivation. By cultivating them (step to the side) you magically appear 500 steps infront. Your chi/energy might not be as powerful because you haven't spent those 5 hours a day doing meditations but your insight into the tao could become much better than only a meditation approach. The higher destination can be reached without travelling there step by step.

• Like 1

you would never make it in bon po or tantra. A dakini would probably kill you out of annoyance. Hopefully she would just kill your sense of self, which to me is more of the ego, and just not your body.

people get this abandoning all for God thing all screwed up, IMO. As if God really cares about you and me and all our petty, needy desires.

it is really about saying your love and desire to know and be god has to be so great that the love you have for anyone or anything else will look like filth and waste in comparison. Don't worry. Christian ascetics can get it all confused too.

the paradox is that when you achieve that state of love and devotion the whole world and it's inhabitants are then included in this love. God is All. If one truly loves, honors, and respects Self this becomes self evident. Service and love to others becomes a spontaneous expression of the innate gentleness which is present in us all.

I would recommend you do some chi kung exercises that focus on detoxifying and harmonizing your liver.

good luck in India but if you are going to Tibet it sounds like you will need it even more.

May you get everything your heart desires. I could say, May all your karma be balanced in one week but that would be cruel.

in my religion,

i only ask a man or woman of similar age to love that woman/(man) as though she/(he) is his sister/(brother) with no thought of lust at all..

that is the highest form of love..

i have never spoken out against love and compassion.. only against lust and greed..

and between a martial couple.. there will always be lust and greed involved..

this is why no spiritual practitioner should ever engage in marital relationships unless he/(she) has already broken his/(her) ego..

if a man/(woman) ever see a beautiful woman/(man) with such a hot body and he/(she) only see her/(him) as his/(her) sister/(brother), then that is the highest, purest form of love..

a love without greed.. a love without lust.. a love borne out of sheer kindness..

if a daikini ever see any lust in me, i hope that she will destroy me completely..

i do hope that the daikinis will honour me one day for successfully cultivating the non-lustful love in me..

Edited by bodyoflight

in my religion,

i only ask a man or woman of similar age to love that woman/(man) as though she/(he) is his sister/(brother) with no thought of lust at all..

i have never spoken out against love and compassion.. only against lust and greed..

this is why no spiritual practitioner should ever engage in marital relationships unless he/(she) has already broken his/(her) ego..

if a man/(woman) ever see a beautiful woman/(man) with such a hot body and he/(she) only see her/(him) as his/(her) sister/(brother), then that is the highest, purest form of love..

a love without greed.. a love without lust.. a love borne out of sheer kindness..

if a daikini ever see any lust in me, i hope that she will destroy me completely..

i do hope that the daikinis will honour me one day for successfully cultivating the non-lustful love in me..

when you can love a member of the opposite sex with such devic consciousness, then when you do engage in tantric sex, the energy can flow with such power it will result in immediate force of enlightenment..

when you can love a member of the opposite sex with such devic consciousness, then when you do engage in tantric sex, the energy can flow with such power it will result in immediate force of enlightenment..

there was a member in here..

he spoke of getting dumped by a woman he loved so much.. then he went to yoga class not to meet people but to begin working on himself..

curiously enough, all the women in that class start gravitating towards him yet he has no interest in any of them.. all the women in that class were working on themselves too...

i knew another guy.. he once had too much trouble going after women but once he stopped going after women and just concentrated on his work.. all the women began flocking back to him.. including those he rejected before..

this phenomenon has happened countless times not only to guys but to girls too..

i know of many players who have no difficulty going after beautiful bimbos who are only interested in sex, partying and clothes .. but when the same players take on a beautiful but smart woman..

and i am talking smart not in terms of being booksmart.. but smart in terms of being wise about life.. there ain't too many of such gems out there..

the same players who had no difficulties going after beautiful bimbos suddenly find their balls shrinking after meeting a beautiful but wise woman.. they want to fuck her real bad but just seem to shrink down in size after being dazzled by her mental and physical brilliance...

i have tried to figured the mechanics behind this phenomenon for many years now..

and recently it makes sense..

the guy who wasn't interested in women but only interested in improving himself..

the girl who was not only beautiful but wise as well..

the guy who was working on himself has raised his consciousnesses to the point where he is feeling no sexual lust towards women.. the wise woman who disdains going to pubs, who disdains the obsession with fashion and who don't care two hoots about dicks...

both of them have very high consciousness which naturally draw members of the opposite sex who possess lower consciousness to them..

this is why the PUAs can only work their magic on stupid women.. it is all a game of mental willpower .. but when the PUAs meet the mentally strong woman.. naturally the animal consciousness of the PUAs can't withstand the natural devic consciousness of the wise woman..

there ain't too many wise women or wise men around with high consciousness.. they are pretty popular

consciousness is the game of life...

there was a member in here..

he spoke of getting dumped by a woman he loved so much.. then he went to yoga class not to meet people but to begin working on himself..

curiously enough, all the women in that class start gravitating towards him yet he has no interest in any of them.. all the women in that class were working on themselves too...

i knew another guy.. he once had too much trouble going after women but once he stopped going after women and just concentrated on his work.. all the women began flocking back to him.. including those he rejected before..

this phenomenon has happened countless times not only to guys but to girls too..

i know of many players who have no difficulty going after beautiful bimbos who are only interested in sex, partying and clothes .. but when the same players take on a beautiful but smart woman..

and i am talking smart not in terms of being booksmart.. but smart in terms of being wise about life.. there ain't too many of such gems out there..

the same players who had no difficulties going after beautiful bimbos suddenly find their balls shrinking after meeting a beautiful but wise woman.. they want to fuck her real bad but just seem to shrink down in size after being dazzled by her mental and physical brilliance...

i have tried to figured the mechanics behind this phenomenon for many years now..

and recently it makes sense..

the guy who wasn't interested in women but only interested in improving himself..

the girl who was not only beautiful but wise as well..

the guy who was working on himself has raised his consciousnesses to the point where he is feeling no sexual lust towards women.. the wise woman who disdains going to pubs, who disdains the obsession with fashion and who don't care two hoots about dicks...

both of them have very high consciousness which naturally draw members of the opposite sex who possess lower consciousness to them..

this is why the PUAs can only work their magic on stupid women.. it is all a game of mental willpower .. but when the PUAs meet the mentally strong woman.. naturally the animal consciousness of the PUAs can't withstand the natural devic consciousness of the wise woman..

there ain't too many wise women or wise men around with high consciousness.. they are pretty popular

consciousness is the game of life...

Non and bodyoflight, separated at birth!! :lol:

Dude, I feel yer pain, but it's obvious to anyone over 30 that you couldn't get laid to save your life. I had my dry spell in my early 20s too, right after I quit drinking, and as soon as I got healthier, the sex flowed like beer. I did try to rationalize this era as a "spiritual" period, but when I got sucked in by a gorgeous 40 yr-old kindergarten teacher in Denver, the no-sex spirituality lost its appeal. Quickly.

Edited by Blasto
  • Like 1

in my religion,

lust is not just in sexual context. Lust has nothing to do with sex. who are you to say what is the highest form of love? who is your source? Have you made love yet with a woman or a man? You said like you are probably male but I don't care what your sexual orientation is.

were your family old school catholic? I see it more and more in you.

dakinis destroy ignorance and pride....

why would a dakini honor any human? your desire for this, any particle or molecule of this desire, is going to get you dismembered in dakini land.

i would recommend you do some Chod too along with the liver chi exercises... Do it voluntarily before a dakini comes for you.

Sign in to follow this