TAXICAT

Taoist Walking Practice

Information wants to be free. Occasionally not Taoist information.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, maybe by someone more officious than myself, but it did not turn up in a google search. Attended a seminar by Wang Liping's students in one of the Carolina's (who can remember?) and learned walking practice and tree practice. Following is a dump on walking practice.

Basis -

1. Start walking.

2. For 3, 6, or 12 steps (now referred to as N steps), whatever is comfortable, breathe in.

3. For N steps, breathe out. Get comfortable doing this.

Expansion 1 -

4. While breathing in (for N steps), visualize/feel the field (ball?) of chi surrounding you pulling into your lower dantien.

5. While breathing out, visualize/feel the field of chi in your dantien expanding to a ball around you.

Expansion 2 -

6. While breathing in, as the ball contracts into you, have it move down to your dantien.

7. While breathing out, as the ball expands, allow the center to rise to your solar plexus.

A few notes -

The expansions are just meant to chunk the learning into different segments, so you aren't focusing on 5 things at once while you get the hang of each bit. What you finish with is a expanding and contracting ball, whose center is moving up and down, in rhythm to your N steps.

The steps always double. 3, 6, 12, 24...

There is also the variation of /in N steps - hold N steps - out N steps/. Where you are holding your breath for N steps between the in's and out's. (It's unclear of whether there is a variation that holds on each end of the breaths (ie. in, hold, out, hold), so mark that as a probably not.)

While you walk, you exaggerate the swinging motion in your arms. You do this where you swing them more in front and behind yourself (respective to where that arm would be swinging anyways). This seems to get some blood to your hands and warm them up, it might have some chi related benefits as well.

Some of the Longmen Pai folks are on this forum, so maybe they can clear up anything or add to this.

-yt

Edited by TAXICAT
  • Like 1

Good technique. Thanks. This appears similar:

Sleeping arts body breathing arts and taoist walking qigong:

http://www.chigong.com/art2.html

How would you visualize chi? I visualize chi as white light. From what I read there is a man who can charge a car battery + mco + kundalini using white light visualization.

How would you visualize chi? I visualize chi as white light. From what I read there is a man who can charge a car battery + mco + kundalini using white light visualization.

'Imagine' is definitely the wrong word. 'Visualize' gets closer, and is generally what I will use. However, I think the right thing to say is 'feel'.

Edited by TAXICAT

anytime you walk is an opportunity. even normal walking such as for errands or such, one will want to have a proper weight distribution, balance, keeping spine and head erect , mind quiet, calm, and alert.

a walking meditation compliments standing, sitting, and laying meditation.

for a meditative walking , a garden or park area with good clean air and trees and plants to supply richer oxygen

and a place of quietness would be good.

look forward and place the tongue on the palate. walk erect with shoulders, elbows, knees relaxed and loose.

arms hang naturally and not swing to little or too much. as in taijiquan, the fingers should not be stretched apart and should curve naturally. direct the bulk of your weight below the navel. the foot touching the ground bears the brunt of the weight.

the other foot is weightless and light. when you place your foot evenly on the ground the pressure of the step

will stimulate the glands, nerves, arteries, and veins. as you walk coordinate the mind, qi, breath , and walking movement.

anyone could come join me in some immortal walking in the forest. i will not describe it here.

• Like 1

anytime you walk is an opportunity. even normal walking such as for errands or such, one will want to have a proper weight distribution, balance, keeping spine and head erect , mind quiet, calm, and alert.

Look forward and place the tongue on the palate.

anyone could come join me in some immortal walking in the forest. i will not describe it here.

Keep your tongue on your palate walking - sitting - standing - reclining - all the time :)

Please describe immortal walking or pm me if you don't want to put it out there Thnx

• Like 2

Please describe immortal walking or pm me, if you don't want to put it out here. Thnx

Jox, :)

doing this walking out in the fresh air, it exercises every part of one's body.

coordinating the movements with mind and body,

circulating the blood up from the feet, thru the legs,

thru-out the entire body.

this maintains physical and mental health.

this refreshing of your mind and body in this way,

it then becomes easier to begin sitting meditation

and able to focus with a clear mind.

• Like 2

Master Wang Li Ping teach Walking Qi Gong and Qi Gong with trees.How someone consider this to be Nei Dan?

In real Nei Dan you dont do visualisations and imaginations because this deplete Jing.

What is Immortal walking?Is it part of Immortal Tai Chi from Wudang Shan?

Ormus