GrandTrinity

*Jade Pillow*

How is everyone's Jade Pillow point? The base of the skull. This point is said to take longer to "open" compared to most other points on the orbit. Personally, I am having some difficulty with this point. I do attribute this difficulty to living in an environment where I am surrounded by people who are perhaps 'less than" healthy, particularly in the neck. Still, I am looking for ways to re-align this Atlas bone so that it stays proper aligned and the Jade Pillow fully opens. This point is said to part of the Earth element.

This one bodywork in Switzerland devised a healing method for fixing the atlas, and it's supposed to work after just one treatment. This is a quite interesting interview if your inclined:

http://www.consciousmedianetwork.com/members/mhane.htm

What are your experiences with this Jade Pillow point? It appears this point is a major source of everyones health problems, as the atlas bone is misaligned in most everyone starting at birth.

In the above interview, the founder of this Atlas realignment method even claims that humanity may be esoterically controlled and kept docile by this point's breaking - like some conspiracy. This might have to do with elite Taoists...

It is interesting to note that the Jade Emperor/ress is the highest God in the Tao pantheon.

Edited by GrandTrinity
  • Like 2

I'd like to know more about this jade pillow point... it seems to be a very important part of the spine / skull.

can anyone share their knowledge / thoughts / beliefs?

I find that the atlas, or at least the corresponding muscle imbalance that effects the atlas, is one of the most common problems in achieving physical balance. TMJ syndrome? ALWAYS has atlas involvement. Headaches? Same. Lower cervical problems? Same. This list could go on and on. Furthermore I have found that most forms of therapy do not really properly address this problem.

Fortunately the Taoist medicine I practice and teach has methods for achieving balance with this aspect of the body. And it works VERY well.

the neck movements I learned in xing shen zhuang are awesome at addressing these issues.

open & close properly, every day :)

Very interesting. I use to get pain/pressure there. Now it gets cold sometimes (feels good).

Pretty sure the pressure thing was blood pressure though

Also when I turn my head downward and turn my face left or right I feel a pop infront of the jade pillow.

After meditating this point feels pretty good though, along with the rest of my head.

Might explain why when I did the MCO I often felt great.

This one bodywork in Switzerland devised a healing method for fixing the atlas, and it's supposed to work after just one treatment. This is a quite interesting interview if your inclined:

http://www.conscious...mbers/mhane.htm

Once you go into the site where do you go

Edited by mYTHmAKER

It's IMO/IME a bit of a strange thing because it's both "inside and outside" your skull - well, technically just "outside" in terms of bone structure but "inside" in terms of musculo-neuro whatever -- maybe at some point we might get used to the idea of overlapping structures and layers upon such and interactions amongst such?

I guess I'd readily compare it to the sacral area which IME is lots of things, bones and muscle and nerves and neurones and hormones and (the leg bone's connected to da thigh bone, forget it :P ). Anyway I seemed to get better "floor muscle" control as a result of MCO and better "opening" of the "jade pillow" by inner smile - NB, not "secret smile - if that makes any sense?

the neck movements I learned in xing shen zhuang are awesome at addressing these issues.

open & close properly, every day :)

HI could you tell me where I can find the neck movements you mentioned? thanks

I find that the atlas, or at least the corresponding muscle imbalance that effects the atlas, is one of the most common problems in achieving physical balance. TMJ syndrome? ALWAYS has atlas involvement. Headaches? Same. Lower cervical problems? Same. This list could go on and on. Furthermore I have found that most forms of therapy do not really properly address this problem.

Fortunately the Taoist medicine I practice and teach has methods for achieving balance with this aspect of the body. And it works VERY well.

hi all , Im Sue. I came across this site while doing a search on jade pillow. Ive been having a very severe pain at the base of the head where the c-spine meets the skull for a year now. It happened suddenly after a chiropractic treatment last year when I felt a rush of energy from base of spine to head a few hrs after the treatment. Since teh next day Ive been having this severe pain at this spot. Hve seen several chiros since then and nobody seems to be able to get rid of it. Im guessing its an energy problem? Would you be able to offer some advice with regard to Taoist medicine? thanks

daojones,

I had that procedure done and don't recommend it at all.

Atlas Profilax. It's a massage tool which very forcefully stretches the subocciptial muscles in the back of your neck. Stretching them beyond their healthy capability (attempting something similar to a grade 5 joint mobilization) to the point where they tear, and as a result screw up MANY things in the body.

There's a chance you can die from it, due to the vertebral arteries being cut off and having a VBA stroke, and also possibly bruising or tearing the spinal cord itself. This is very possible.

The "jade pillow" is one of the most vulnerable areas of the human body. People well versed in qigong and Chinese medicine stress the importance of covering the area during the winter, because even exposure to cold wind can bring illness and injury through that area.

So avoid all upper cervical manipulations, for the sake of your life and wellbeing.

The only similar thing I can recommend is Tom Ockler's muscle energy methods for the cervical spine, which are super gentle and effective. The mobilizing force is your own eye movement, nothing more...if being treated by Tom Ockler, you are in expert hands.

Interesting thread, it's worth noting that the OP was made in 2006, possibly explaining why the link doesn't work anymore.

That link used to be an interview with Michael Hane, an "Atlas Profilax" practitioner...which is what my post to you was about.

Hi Scotty,

Thanks for your informative responsive. Didn't realize I double posted.

I agree gentle approaches are best. I am skeptical of extreme manipulations.

hi all , Im Sue. I came across this site while doing a search on jade pillow. Ive been having a very severe pain at the base of the head where the c-spine meets the skull for a year now. It happened suddenly after a chiropractic treatment last year when I felt a rush of energy from base of spine to head a few hrs after the treatment. Since teh next day Ive been having this severe pain at this spot. Hve seen several chiros since then and nobody seems to be able to get rid of it. Im guessing its an energy problem? Would you be able to offer some advice with regard to Taoist medicine? thanks

Hi,

I don't agree that all manipulative therapy is bad. It depends on the person doing the manipulations.

I am not a fan of chiropractic manipulation although I have met a very few chiropractors who knew what they are doing. I think the problem lies in the fact that to be good at manipulation requires a natural ability whereas it appears far too many chiropractors go through the school simply because they can make a lot of money. They then herd as many people as they can through the office in a day versus actually spending time with a person. Unfortunate, as this doesn't help anyone.

If you can find an old-school osteopathic physician for a consultation, it may prove worthwhile. I personally found the osteopathic techniques to be much better than the C's. Unfortunately they are hard to find as osteopathic graduates of recent years are virtual MD clones without the extensive physical medicine training. But there are a few around.

In Central America, probably hard to find,there are bone-setters. I hear great things about these healers.

In China, Tui Na manipulation has been performed for thousands of years.

Some alternatives to manipulation therapy would be to find an Asian Bodywork Therapist or Medical Qigong healer.

I retired from clinic last year so I can't help you with the physical aspect in terms of Taoist Medicine, which is not a manipulation method, but is geared at achieving balance. Where are you located? Are you in USA? Possibly I may know someone in your area so send me a PM.

HI could you tell me where I can find the neck movements you mentioned? thanks

Two of the main 3 are pretty commonly known - crane neck and turtle neck, which are longitudinal stretch-movements, and the dragon neck is the transverse method. I could describe them but I would wind up getting a little heavy on technical jargon. You can probably find turtle & crane descriptions out on the net somewhere, but I had never heard of the dragon neck before learning the entire xing shen zhuang form. I still do 'em pretty much every day :)

Anamatva knows but does not speak http://www.thetaobums.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/laugh.gif

Well maybe he doesnt know he knows, but i know he's provided me with some info that i havent "reached" yet... http://www.thetaobums.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.gif

i'm honored, but i think what's been said here is pretty awesome. I didn't feel like i had much to add.

Its true that the jade pillow is isolated in kuji-in with retsu, the 7th kuji. I feel like mine is still opening, and as i progress in my kuji-in practice, the area that is affected by the mudra and mantra becomes something i relate to the talu chakra instead of the jade pillow.

IMAGE REMOVED AT REQUEST OF ARTIST

So maybe for some people, like me, the jade pillow is a gateway to deeper body awareness and mystical ability. But i'm not sure about that. I have never learned anything about the talu chakra from a teacher or guru, so i sort of associate it with the deep dreaming consciousness that is unaffected by events, kind of a transcendental acceptance. Thats mostly from kuji-in teachings on retsu! I have no idea what some other people might believe the talu chakra to do. Although it was mentioned in Layayoga by Goswami, he says he can not expound on the meaning of talu, that one must learn directly from a guru what it means. So i have never been sure if the retsu philosophy is really what the talu chakra is about!

" ...the limits of perception become malleable, where long hours

can not be tiring, and short moments do not seem fragile. It is the place of

remembering oneself as spirit. Henceforth, human time becomes of lesser

importance, so remember to give adequate attention to your human schedule.

Things that are too big or too small lose that distinction, and concepts that might

have been hard to grasp become yours to appreciate. From the moment one

remembers their wholeness as and with spirit, the eternity and brevity of ones

existence lose their distinction and gravity. Retsu (the jade pillow) is the point

from which we can glimpse the impossible, or things that don't make sense to the

rational mind. It is where we live as spirit, inhabiting our human temple. It is

the transcendance of the limitations of the human side of us into un-worded

consciousness and spiritual truth."

I can apply all that to talu more easily than the jade pillow, but then again, i am almost always doing mudra and mantra when i focus on talu, and that mudra and mantra are associated with those concepts in my mind. So maybe i am superimposing it! hahaha

in other words, i didn't say anything because i am not sure i have any idea what i am talking about hahaha

Edited by konchog uma

Sarvangasana probably is a asana which helps with this area on the physical plane...

During my relaxation - Savasana, I find it really difficult to relax this particular spot.. but persistence kind of helps...

about the three barries.. the yoguic version of it are the three granthis... brahma, vishnu e rudra or shiva granthi, and the rudra granthi is associated with being attached to ones psychic abilities... opening it means to not attach oneself.

One very interessting thing that I am axperiencing with this area:

- after practicing a few days of shambhavi mudra and agochari mudra, I discovered sudently how to move my ears!! the muscle responsible for moving the ears are located actually in the back of the head... kind of i the jade pillow gate area... and by forcing my eye muscles on those mudras, I actually activated this muscle onthe back of my head... I thought straight away on Mantak Chias Cranial Pump... Any one has had this experience an can further more relate to it:::

adieu

In fact, the three Barriers are three sectors of the Control vessel, which forms the first half of the cyclical route of the River Chariot (heche) in the alchemical practice. When the circulation of Breath reaches these three points, one frequently encounters obstructions that make it hard to pass through the Barrier of the Jade Pillow. Therefore the Zhong-Lü chuandao ji (Records of the Transmission of the Dao from Zhongli Quan to Lü Dongbin), using a metaphor, says that in order to go past this barrier one should use an "ox chariot" (niuche). When the constant cycling of the internal Breath reaches the Jade Pillow, one cannot overcome the obstruction unless one proceeds slowly: one can only use the "gentle fire" (wenhuo) and the subtle operation of the Intention (yi), and should not proceed with strength.

http://www.goldenelixir.com/jindan/wm_three_barriers.html