I read some days ago about a few bums starting with GTD.

I have been using GTD from two years now, and I have to say that it have been the BEST non meditative tool, that has more profoundly had effect on my meditation.

Essentially is a very precise way to write down lists of things to do, and put things in calendars. The structure is so precise that there are no questions where did you write down something, and what do you need to do. You have it all written down. It takes a few days to get started, and once you are started it takes a few hours to get back in line if you have deranged (as it always happens, like with all good disciplines).

But the effect is enormous. Essentially once you do it well, your mind naturally goes into a state of emptiness. Have you ever been in some remote place to do meditations for days on and. And have you ever found yourself being in silent mind? I am sure many of you did. Now here is the question, how much of this effect is due to the fact of doing so much meditation, and how much is due to the fact of having such a simple life. It is hard to have a silent mind when you have many things to attend. they just ask for your attention, and you need to follow them.

But if you write them all down it all goes quite. But then you get confused with a huge list. Well GTD is a way to make different lists, so that you always know which one to use, in different sitatuion.

After I started with GTD, I often end up having pen and paper near my meditation cushion. As soon as I sit, all sort of ideas start to pop up. I don't ignore them or suppress them. They are important, they are plans for my life. And my life is important (at least to me). Instead I write them out. One tiny piece of paper for each idea. I have A8 papers. Sometimes it take me even half an hour to write down all the ideas that come. But eventually they stop.

They don't stop because I have reached a high level of meditation. They stop because I have organised them, and now my brain does not have to work on them anymore. And then meditation happens naturally.

This state is called by the author of the system

mind like water.

And he speaks of it as the state you want to be in when you are a karate person in a martial fight. An empty mind, ready to answert to the environment.

I would be curios to know if others have found similar (or opposite) results.

Pietro

Pietro,

Thanks for the great GTD writeup!!!

While I haven't incorporated all of GTD, to the extent that I have, it totally rocks. His philosophy of "freeing up RAM space for a tranquil mind" really drew me in.

GTD has inspired me to keep a cleaner house to free up yet more RAM space and I'm just getting rolling on this as a habit.

I also bought a way cool wallet which holds a full size pen and 3x5 index cards ruled the 'other way' so I can write down thoughts as they come up.

I have Power of Full Engagement (Sean's recommendation) and Organizing from within (Lozen's) on my to-read list. I hope they are inspiring too.

Your pal,

Yoda

Big GTD fan for a few years now myself. Kind of got obsessed with implementation for awhile to the detriment of productivity but I hear that is a common phase. Finally settled on moleskin and gmail as primary collection buckets and evernote for organizing projects, next actions, collecting somedaymaybes and tagging notes/reference material.

Here is a great recent overview video by the man himself:

Qo7vUdKTlhk

Even just the concept of not using your mind/brain to store/remember things was big for me too and it instantly became a habit. I still cringe when I am talking to someone and action steps come up for them and they don't write anything down, saying "I'll remember". :(

Sean

Big GTD fan for a few years now myself. Kind of got obsessed with implementation for awhile to the detriment of productivity but I hear that is a common phase. Finally settled on moleskin and gmail as primary collection buckets and evernote for organizing projects, next actions, collecting somedaymaybes and tagging notes/reference material.

I think we all needed a long time to find how to implement the system in a way that fits us.

I tried to use a Palm, but realised that I did not want to open up a computer every time I wanted to take a piss or make a phone call.

Personally I use the 3x5 cards. Divided into buckets. Each bucket is a small plastic container. The size of a 3x5. I bought hundreds of them when I was playing Magic (the Gathering, the card game), and now I had them running around. So I use a 3x5 card with the name of the bucket. But then mostly A8 papers inside (that's half of a 3x5). One paper one task.

I also have a huge box with the maybe someday's. It is a wooden box, that sits as my dream box. The box of all the things I dream to do. I only open it once every few months. But then I read them all, and update it.

FOr the calendar I use the one in my phone. SImply because I have it always with me.

The only thing I have implemented but not really using is the 43 folders system. I just can't be bothered every day to check it, so it it useless.

Essentially as I am using it right now is not keeping me in the mind like water state all the time, but I have the possibility to go there any time I want.

FOr the calendar I use the one in my phone. SImply because I have it always with me.

The only thing I have implemented but not really using is the 43 folders system. I just can't be bothered every day to check it, so it it useless.

What I did for that was to do the same system, but just use it weekly not daily. And on my calendar I have #1, #2, #3, etc marked for each respective Monday for the year to remind me to check it.

I still cringe when I am talking to someone and action steps come up for them and they don't write anything down, saying "I'll remember".

I think the biggest step is carrying a few 3x5 cards or a palm pilot around. It's great for artistic inspiration too. And helps us spiritual types be more grounded.