sheng zhen

Full lotus

But Drew, when you first started learning full lotus, how did you train yourself?

Did you do any special streching exercises or did you just do spiring forest qigong and suddenly you could smack ringht into full lotus bliss?

How was your way into full lotus?

See also Becoming the Lotus by Anton Temple A great little book. It gives a nice routine and safety tips for gettting into the Lotus position.

Edited by tumoessence

I found this yoga routine that I wanted to share because it has made me able to sit in the full lotus afterwards, which for me, with a damaged knee and my extremely stiff norwegian hips, was a great achievement.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=9...annel=301783449

Its yoga for the hips and takes just about 20 min.

It would also be interesting to hear if someone else has some other techniques they use to be able to do the full lotus. My guess is that Drew, the full lotus guru, might have(if he hasnt told us allready somewhere)? :)

sheng zhen. thank you.

nice exercises - improve circulation.

Yeah last night my Egyptian acquaintance tried to sit in full-lotus. He thought he could do it on the ground but not on the chair, as I was doing (in his restaurant). I told him I got this starting from soccer which he plays a lot. He said the "butterfly stretch" does that but he thought I had my feet under my thighs, not on top. He couldn't even sit with his legs crossed underneath, while on a chair - which makes sense since there would be less balance.

I would say the http://springforestqigong.com exercies are ideal -- the standing active exercises, the small universe in a chair, and then self-concentration (half or full-lotus).

For example the Ch'an monks alternate standing exercise with full-lotus. I still do this when I want to do deeper meditation at home -- when I'm building up my energy internally and not just cycling the 3rd eye energy externally while at full-lotus in public.

When the legs really hurt from full-lotus you just stand while meditating -- doing simple tai chi moves. Then the energy opens up the leg channels and you can enjoy full-lotus again. Keeping the eyes closed helps a lot to build up the energy internally.

Drew,

OK, beginners have had their field day, now let's talk advanced lotus positions.

Can you balance yourself standing on the palms of your hands with your legs in full lotus? How about hanging from a bar? How about drawing the yin-yang symbol with your whole body while in full lotus, aiming to brush the floor with your head? How about Yogic Sleep -- roll on your back with your legs in full lotus, put your arms over your knees, take a nap? How about Snake Queen -- legs in lotus, arms in lotus behind the back of your head?

• Like 1

I just sleep in regular full-lotus! haha. Only naps though. Sleep though is not the goal nor any physical feats. Qigong master Chunyi Lin went 40 days in full-lotus: no sleep, no water, no food. The goal is spirit travel and energy transformation so that "supreme complete enlightenment" is achieved -- turning the whole body back into consciousness. Full-lotus just works by itself, through harmonics. I rely on it as much as possible. I don't keep track how long I sit -- it's a preventative, all purpose, life-saver. Cafes, restaurants, libraries, work, reading at home, etc.

That leaves biking and sleeping pretty much. I used to sit in full-lotus even on the can but there's not a lot of space in my bathroom. haha.

Drew,

OK, beginners have had their field day, now let's talk advanced lotus positions.

Can you balance yourself standing on the palms of your hands with your legs in full lotus? How about hanging from a bar? How about drawing the yin-yang symbol with your whole body while in full lotus, aiming to brush the floor with your head? How about Yogic Sleep -- roll on your back with your legs in full lotus, put your arms over your knees, take a nap? How about Snake Queen -- legs in lotus, arms in lotus behind the back of your head?

vent post warning.

I just want to tell you that I'm spitting and hissing. I have become un - limber and wooden legged.

I cant do it anymore.

Age does not wither her, ok, but it's really withering ME. :angry:

I guess I need to do some yoga or I will turn into a plank soon.

When did my hips get so tight?! POOOOOH.

Erm, harrumph, hmmm, yes.

My teacher tells us that we really shouldn't try to sit in any kind of lotus for a good few years. This is because our practice releases a lot of stuff down the arms and legs and having them folded just doesn't help. When we've cleared an enormous amount of stuff and the leg channels are very, very clear, then it's ok to sit in lotus. He does, sometimes.

The process of trying to clear stuff by forcing yourself to sit in lotus is considered, in this view, to be very risky, in that you need very strong equanimity/detachment/not hating it or else you'll be making more karma as fast as you like.

Which is not at all to suggest that Taomeow can't do it, of course. Nor to suggest that it mightn't be great for practices such as Drew describes, which seem to involve alot of driving stuff upwards.

And for the record, I can't do it. At all. Not even close.

That's interesting, Ian. I like very much the exercise your teacher shares, of sitting and moving the legs open and closed repeatedly.

Amazingly good, very very simple.

Some people are bendier than others, even as children. I used to be like an elastic band, now I'm chewy like licorice.

I have one athletic child who is bendy, and one with hamstrings like chopsticks.

Gentle stuff seems best to me.

I can do it most days, but I can still only sit for less than a minute before it gets too painful. Its the outsides of my ankles that end up hurting, but I think its only because they are the focal point of other places being tense.

Mal, Working Towards Enlightenment is a fantastic book, I am ~4 chapters into it right now! I also managed to find Realizing Enlightenment, though the copy was a little beat up. That looks great too, but I think I will finish Working first! :)

I think it's more an issue of values than abilities. My kids were also "born just so" (one extra flexible, the other one tight as a drum -- even though they are twins) but it flipped over later simply because the flexible one wasn't interested in maintaining it while the stiff one took a yoga class and then taiji. The body forgives years and even decades of stiffness if you start viewing flexibility as a value and working on it. I was a lot stiffer at 30 than at 40, and by now I'm more flexible than I was in my teens. That's because I admire freedom of movement in space and my role model is the octopus. "We become what we admire."

• Like 1

Nice, thankyou TaoMeow. Was it here I read "be that which you seek to attract" ... so I guess if I want flexibility and mobility, as opposed to gradual petrification, I better start actively valuing my previous ability.

I do admire trees. But I think I need to focus on the willows more than the old oaks!

The weird thing about the full-lotus is that it relies on electrochemical transduction -- transforming the lower emotions: fear, sadness, worry, overexcitement and anger -- into bliss-light.

So I was just in McDonalds sitting in full-lotus. It's where I had my first "O at a D" by accident about a year ago. I sit with a friend of mine who is this obese bookstore worker, older guy, about 60 or so. He gets really afraid of the full-lotus because it creates this trance state of mind that induces staring on my part. I have to stare at him to shoot energy into him to transform his fear. haha. That's really all it's about -- people will react to the full-lotus 3rd Eye trance -- the bliss-light shot of the eyes -- with usually lust (overexcitement) but sometimes fear, anger, sadness or worry. It someone's a healthy well balanced person then their lower emotions quickly are transduced from overexcitement -- sucked into the full-lotus 3rd eye vortex and shot back out at them as bliss light.

So today I sat in full-lotus for two hours straight in this anarchist cafe -- just having O at a Ds with the females in the cafe. Then I went to a Chinese buffet and sat in full-lotus for an hour there, having O at a Ds with the female server.

I don't have to stare at someone to transmit the energy but it does direct the energy. Usually this depends on a person's reaction. Most females quickly pick up on the bliss-light energy and then position themselves to best absorb the energy -- in line with my full-lotus gaze. Of course this is body language and it depends on who else is around, making it all rather contextual and complex. Sometimes females will stare at me if I'm not staring at them (so that they are sucking up my bliss-light, instead of me shooting it out), or they will use sounds to redirect my attention at them. It's all subtle body language -- usually back side displays, or whatever. If my energy is not that strong or their energy is not that strong to suck up my energy then sometimes they may react with fear or anger. The only answer to this is just keep sitting in full-lotus and the lower emtions transduce back into bliss-light.

As I've stated I can sit in full-lotus indefinitely -- today about 5 hours thus far -- just by having a yin source to suck up my yang bliss-light, thereby pulling up my yin energy (causing a mutual climax) and also sucking up further yin energy. It's an impersonal process and again after about 5 "O at a Ds" with an individual then real love is experienced.

So this is an intense process -- even dangerous I would say. The biggest danger is that most males have a "chimp" mentality -- a territoriality -- where they get pissed off if females are not attracted to them or if they don't know how to attract females, therefore projecting their anger, fear, etc. about the full-lotus 3rd Eye bliss-light. Females also assimilate this territorial mentality considering themselves to be property, etc. Again all that can be done is to shoot energy into the males as well.

The energy will be exchanged whether it's directed through my eyes or not -- you just sit in full-lotus and the 3rd Eye energy is omnidirectional, even bending space-time. The female formless awareness is our true natural foundation of reality.

vent post warning.

I just want to tell you that I'm spitting and hissing. I have become un - limber and wooden legged.

I cant do it anymore.

Age does not wither her, ok, but it's really withering ME. :angry:

I guess I need to do some yoga or I will turn into a plank soon.

When did my hips get so tight?! POOOOOH.

I just got two yoga DVDs, one is Yoga for Inflexible People and the other is Naked Yoga Teacher (more inspirational) so I'll be working on my hips some now.

See also Becoming the Lotus by Anton Temple A great little book. It gives a nice routine and safety tips for gettting into the Lotus position.

That is exactly what I was looking for, THANK YOU! I just ordered if off amazon.

I just got two yoga DVDs, one is Yoga for Inflexible People and the other is Naked Yoga Teacher (more inspirational) so I'll be working on my hips some now.

Thankyou StarJumper.

I usually do Pilates, so I'd imagined I was flexible.. yesterday I did something called Yogalates, which I thought would be a good transition for me. It was challenging and I really enjoyed it, and I actually feel stronger today. I think it was those sun salutations that did it.

I read a review of the "Yoga for Inflexible People" - it sounds nice and explanatory. I havent looked up Naked Yoga yet... but I will, thankyou.

I just ordered "Yoga Trance Dance" from my library, too. I guess this qualifies me as a wowie - zowie type... :P

I'm going to do more belly dancing too, that's got to help with hip loosening.

My knees are clicky at the moment - it comes and goes - so I'm being very careful with them. I dont actually know why they sometimes click. ;)

OK well let's start with the second question which I didn't answer:

Original Sin -- where does it come from. You'd have to read my blogbook http://mothershiplanding.blogspot.com -- but basically "sin" is the Sumerian moon god transformed into divide and average ratios.

Well it's an older problem than that --- Jacques Cauvin calls it the "symbolic revolution" of around 10,000 BCE.

Essentially rectilinear "divide and average" abstract art was a philosophical revolution FIRST which then launched plow-based agriculture and rectilinear housing, thereby destroying all circular housing that up till then had been the necessary symbol for lunar, female power.

As the Chinese used to say: Don't Disturb the Earth Dragon (got that from Harry Franck's "Roaming Across Southern China," an excellent 1920s on-the-ground analysis.

Anyway that new "anti-matter" online zine has excerpts of Kingsley's REALITY -- it's on http://peterkingsley.com -- in the articles site.

He trashes Plato. What he says on Gorgias is excellent as well. I had to read Gorgias before I visited St. Johns College, a "Great Books" school in Santa Fe requiring ancient Greek study. My tour for several days was led by this Roma female -- a big boned Gypsy. haha.

It's not just that current commentators are wrong but that everyone's been wrong since Plato and Aristotle.

As for Archytas -- well the whole "thrust" of my earlier article -- "Secrets of the Greek Freemasonic Miracle", chapter 4 of http://mothershiplanding.blogspot.com is that the top Western mathematicians have tried but failed to figure out how Archytas used music ratios. Up till now the proof for Archytas' doubling of the cube relies on pure geometry -- even when applied to the music scale, using Euclidian similar triangles. There's one online article showing this application of Euclidian triangles to the music scale for doubling the cube, but the article assumes the value of the root of five, without showing how to solve for the root of five, which relies on the square root of two. Typical circular mathematic reasoning -- huge wholes in it! haha. What my research shows is the connection to Archytas' use of the Babylonian equation for harmonics, again using "divide and average" logarithmics.

As my article states the Secret of the Greek Freemasonic Miracle is:

1:5/4::8/5:2.

That's the music ratio, 1:Major Third::Minor Sixth:Octave, solution for doubling the cube.

Now Simon Stevin blatantly stated fuck the perfect fifths foundation for overtones -- which Archytas was still using, as 5:4 is just 10:8 from 9:8 as 3:2 squared, divided by two.

So Simon Stevin continues Archytas' original sin -- the bait and switch of complementary opposite harmonics (whereby lunar and solar resonate back to female formless awareness) and doesn't state how Archtyas first justified using the square root of two.

This jump in logic has been conveniently ignored by music theorists, up till my research.

So I'd like to think I'm on par with Kingsley in a way - I was a philosophy major declaration when I started at Hampshire College -- my advisor was a Kenyan expert in Heidegger. I decided against St. John's because it didn't seem relevant to practical problem solving (i.e. radical progressive activism which I focused on with real public results). So it's highly ironic that my research naturally led me back to Gorgias, Plato, etc.

As for seeing auras -- When I sit in full-lotus enough, taking in the yin electrochemical energy, transducing it through the lower emotion vortex (anger, lust, fear, sadness, worry) into bliss-light yang energy, and then shooting it back to the source of the yin energy -- then I see white light around peoples' heads.

So a couple nights ago I was explaining this to a 20 year old Egyptian-American who works at the local Rotisseria where they've let me read while sitting in full-lotus.

We had been discussing the Koran, why I don't take sugar in my tea, how my body is really sensitive to nutrition, Ramadan, full-lotus posture, soccer, etc.

So I showed him the vagus nerve pulsations as this seems to convince people readily that the full-lotus is not just a flexibility issue.

Then he wanted to know more so I told him about qigong master Chunyi Lin -- justing calling him this Chinese teacher. I explained to him "bigu" and my own experience in going 8 days on only half a glass of water while doing alchemy.

He seemed very interested in alchemy since the word comes from Egyptian arabic.

Anyway then I explained the above process to him and shot energy at him, while telling him I was doing so. He just let me do this -- looking into his eyes, my vagus nerve pulsating, while I sat in full-lotus, directly across from him.

Then I said -- see now I can see white light around your head -- but all of this is meditated by consciousness -- everything is consciousness.

Then he had a customer to attend to. haha.

Greg: I agree that time is the fundamental issue but what the West needs to realize is the ability for the future to be perceived in the present, as a vision that is "more real" than typical modern waking state. The past is also stored as an emotional or electochemical function of time - a holograph - which can also be changed.

I've been researching this issue a lot lately, on a forum that has had lots of enquiries about my "psychic music" analysis. Essentially time in the West, since Plato, has been defined geometrically as a "postive coupling" using symmetric-based logic. This started with Archytas but was picked up again by Descartes, Galileo and Newton whereby time was defined as speed. So twice the time meant twice the speed.

This is exactly the opposite of how time was measured in nonwestern logic. Before Plato time was measured as the INVERSE ratio of distance -- not a "positive coupling." So if a distance is twice as long the speed as frequency is half as much. So twice the frequency is 1/2 the distance for a distance or vibrating string length of 1. This is called the "law of Pythagoras" and is expressed as the diverging harmonic series.

Anyway to achieve a "positive coupling" of time, the West needs to rely on logarithmic-based math, using a "one-to-one correspondence" of letter, as geometry (side and area) to number as distance length. This is the commutative principle. The positive coupling is achieved using weights as tension so that 4 times the weight, as distance, equals twice the frequency or speed -- the inverse square law.

This meant that momentum could be changed to mass as a constant by Newton but then Einstein showed that at high frequencies (speed of light) the mass changes back into momentum.

Einstein still relies on symmetric-based measurement of time but the original "inverse ratio" of distance and frequency was based on complementary opposites, not a "one-to-one correspondance" or the commutative principle. The complementary opposites shows up again in quantum physics, not just in the Uncertainty Principle, (whereby momentum times position does not equal position times momentum) but also in the Time-Frequency Uncertainty Priniciple.

The Time-Frequency Uncertainty Principle is essentially a restatement of the original "inverse ratio" Law of Pythagoras -- as the frequency increases the amplitude spreads across the whole energy spectrum. But, again, this "uncertainty" is statistical and relies on a symmetrical analysis, using "divide and average" math. In contrast nonwestern harmonics uses inverse induction logic stating that the frequency of the harmonic series as the octave or 1/2 and the perfect fifth 2/3 and its complementary opposite perfect fourth or 3/4, continue to resonate through the whole energy spectrum, precisely because they are asymmetric. 2/3 is yang and 3/4 is yin in Taoist alchemy.

The logic is pure inference which means that we can infer that the source of the original or fundamental frequency is pure consciousness -- beyond space and beyond time -- and this consciousness is actually female, because it's the complimentary opposite source of one or the source of the I-thought. 2/3 and 3/4 is expressed as inherent attraction because of the asymmetry.

With practice of this knowledge, through ancient exercises utilizing the complimentary harmonics of the body aka the small universe exercise and the full-lotus, etc., then a trance vision is experience which actually is precognition. There is also an immediate translation of information through electromagnetic fields processed in through the pineal gland -- creating telepathy and telekinesis, as the expression of these harmonics.

Position paper #34 abstract of the Minnesota-based Center for Reichian Crypto-Anthropology, anti-copyright.

Thankyou StarJumper.

I usually do Pilates, so I'd imagined I was flexible.. yesterday I did something called Yogalates, which I thought would be a good transition for me. It was challenging and I really enjoyed it, and I actually feel stronger today. I think it was those sun salutations that did it.

I read a review of the "Yoga for Inflexible People" - it sounds nice and explanatory. I havent looked up Naked Yoga yet... but I will, thankyou.

I just ordered "Yoga Trance Dance" from my library, too. I guess this qualifies me as a wowie - zowie type... :P

I'm going to do more belly dancing too, that's got to help with hip loosening.

My knees are clicky at the moment - it comes and goes - so I'm being very careful with them. I dont actually know why they sometimes click. ;)

Naked Yoga teacher is not that good. It looks like a person who is not a yoga teacher but does know it who was willing to take it all off for the guys. I heard somewhere that naked yoga is catching on though. Naked chi kung is OK too.

Belly dancing is a good art and a good way to learn to shake it. I do like dance type movements that are slow so let me know what you think of that Yoga trance Dance.

Clicky knees are often due to roughness behind the kneecaps. I damaged my knees a little from doing long hard steep downhill too fast while backpacking in the mountains.

Edited by Starjumper7

Clicky knees are often due to roughness behind the kneecaps. I damaged my knees a little from doing long hard steep downhill too fast while backpacking in the mountains.

This must be THE method, because I did something to my left knee exactly this way too. I was going downhill on a hiking trail overgrown with agaves (they have daggers for leaves, really vicious) and got tired of maneuvering around them so as not to get stabbed, decided to run, slipped... and wound up with a useless knee that got clicky, swollen and painful. I cured it with mustard-honey packs overnight every day for a few days (mix a T of fresh, angry dry mustard with enough honey to make a paste, apply to knee, liberally, cover with a piece of cling-wrap, secure with a bandage and then wrap a wool scarf around it.) I used this method on people with chronic knee problems too, it works in every case provided they stick to a wheat-free diet. (Wheat is the biggest offender of joints and flexibility's enemy.)

• Like 1

This must be THE method, because I did something to my left knee exactly this way too. I was going downhill on a hiking trail overgrown with agaves (they have daggers for leaves, really vicious) and got tired of maneuvering around them so as not to get stabbed, decided to run, slipped... and wound up with a useless knee that got clicky, swollen and painful. I cured it with mustard-honey packs overnight every day for a few days (mix a T of fresh, angry dry mustard with enough honey to make a paste, apply to knee, liberally, cover with a piece of cling-wrap, secure with a bandage and then wrap a wool scarf around it.) I used this method on people with chronic knee problems too, it works in every case provided they stick to a wheat-free diet. (Wheat is the biggest offender of joints and flexibility's enemy.)

Can't remember where I read this (in some Taoist tome) but I always tried to apply it.

Run up hill like a deer.

Come down hill like a tiger.

Deer springs up with energy focused on the tailbone and antlers (crown) energy rises up.

Tiger rolls down hill with coiled springy energy absorbing and spreading out the impact.

Of course when you are tired and/or wearing a heavy pack, this definitely gets harder to do well.

Craig

Edited by VCraigP
  • Like 1

StarJumper, I will let you know about the Trance Dance when it arrives. The library is not always super - quick.

I wont be doing naked trance dancing : too flappy. :huh:

Your clicky knee reasoning makes complete sense. I have done much unwise clambering in the past.

Actually, I have a swelling on my right ankle that is like a little egg. soft tissue I guess. It is left behind permanently after a ripped foot ligament and sprained ankle mash up. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to disperse it? I dont like having it there, squidgy and egg like. At the time of the accident my foot and ankle was severely swollen and green and purple and it was all frozen peas on it as much as possible. But I had a baby at the time so couldnt rest it a great deal or make time to get to the doc for physio or whatever.

I like your reminder, Craig.

I got lost once on a mountain at dusk in Borneo, and it was all big boulders and trickling water and tall trees. I'd lost my sense of direction/focus and gone higher instead of descending as it got dark. I asked the spirits of the four directions and the spirit of the mountain for help getting out of their before it was total darkness. I've never moved so fast, and so surefootedly, over such difficult terrain, with so little light ever before. It was amazing. definitely like being possesed with animal energy.

Or adrenalin, according to wether your cast of mind is poetic or prosaic.. ;)

• Like 1