Sign in to follow this  
Fox

Discussion topics.

I have been volunteering at a Church near my college, I have been doing Music there as well as working with the Youth kids.

Every wednesday they meet for what they call, "Covenant groups". They are groups that meet and usually discuss topics that deal with life, hardships growing up, or just things to make them think.

Recently, I was approached to lead a group for the older boys in the youth group (14-16).

Of course I said yes, so I was wondering if perhaps any of you here on Tao Bums had any suggestions on what some good topics, stories, or discussion questions would be?

It would be amazing to hear your input.

They do not have to be Christian in nature, they can be of any thought, non-"religious" questions and topics would be even better.

A friend is leading a group for the girls and she is doing talks on relationships and how the girls shouldnt feel as if they need to be in one to feel whole. Things of that nature..

Any ideas would be so appreciated.

Sending love your way,

Tyler

The best discussions stem from challenging basic concepts people hold for granted. Such as "what is happiness?" "how does one define a person?" "what lies behind desires and motivations?" The more basic it is, the better. They would of course have to be relevant to the kids' lives (talking about sex is always engaging :D ).

I know this sounds cheesy, but when done with an open mind and some sincere and earnest inquiry it can get people to start thinking for themselves. But makes sure it's intense too.

Hope it helps!

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

14~16. They are probably getting a lot about choosing school subjects for carers, universities etc. So perhaps something about how hard work in the next 10 years can set them up for life. Chosing thing that keep many options open rather than narrowing down later options. BUT let them know it is actually ok not to "know what you want to be when you grow up" and it's ok to be confused about what to do and reassure them that if you don't have a clue or get it all wrong you can still have an awesome life :)

Bluntly depends a bit on the group. Highly motivated academics I would focus more on the importance of doing something that makes them happy, the importance of relaxation so they don't burn out. Slackers I would be looking for something that would motivate them to try. Perhaps if people struggle accademicaly how school success need not equal success in the world.

So thats more of the same that tends to get drumed into people :lol: It's important, but repetitive.

Personally I was always chasing happieness (easy for me as acadamically gifted so schoolwork was easy) This topic could be VERY interesting

Most Events that Happen to us do not Matter!

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=7448

Anything on the TED site is VERY inspirational, good ideas there.

Sex is always fun B) & boys worry about relationships too. Could be a fun tie in with other group i.e. what do you worry about and want in a relationship, next week this is what girls listed as worries/wants discus similarities differences.

Do they have a suggestion box so the groups can give requests about interests / worries?

Sounds like fun, enjoy :)

Ah! I am eternally greatful for those replies!

I am not just being overly sincere, I have posted this same question elsewhere and finally I get a well thought out reply.

: )

Thank you very much, great advice.

Still open to more.

-Tyler

Hi Fox,

My only suggestion would be to let them pick a subject for the next get-together, you do the necessary research so that you can guide the discussions but allow them to feed the discussions.

I don't know what your age is but you may have forgotten what it is like to be 14 - 16 years old. And besides, cultures change over time.

Best Wishes!

Be well!

I was told that I should let them each pick a topic and lead one week, but they kind of want me to lead and then have a portion of the time to also talk about their topics, or anything they want to discuss.

I'm only 21, so.. I am still somewhat in the know of what's happening with the kids these days.

:)

Hi Fox,

Yes, I am sure the kids prefer that you lead. Give them time though and try to pick up on when they are ready to lead.

Yeah, your age should not be a problem with them. I will say that I am impressed that, at your age, you are willing to give of yourself to others.

Be well!

This thing I recently picked up:

- "What should we absolutely discuss together today?"

Idea is to make the agenda theirs not yours. Pretty much sounds like what others have said, Might go against some "youth groups" - depending on who's paying.

It's cool that you're close to them in age. I was traumatized by an old biddy in Sunday school when I was 12 and she layed it on me that I shouldn't be thinking about sex and to do so was whorish - if I remember, I wasn't thinking about it :blink:

At least not at the time :lol:

I was told that I should let them each pick a topic and lead one week, but they kind of want me to lead and then have a portion of the time to also talk about their topics, or anything they want to discuss.

Unless you have budding politicians nobody is going to want to be the 1st one to stand up and lead a discussion :lol:

Be sure to let us know how you progress.

Sign in to follow this