zencave

Emptiness Meditation

I think emptiness meditation

is when you observe everything that can be observed,

and you observe only...

without thinking anything about what is being observed,

without pushing away what is being observed,

without trying to change anything that is being observed

by observing in such a manner "our essence" becomes more noticeable into "the observed world",

and "our essence" is probably what is meant with the word emptiness.

emptiness is our pure awareness (a.k.a. energy of mind?),

without anything projected on it by our imagination,

thus it is empty of imagined content.

In order to experience total emptiness,

we have to let go of the idea of self in order to be free from that idea.

The idea of self is something we are naturally very attached to,

and it is quite intense to let go of that idea. Often more than a little scary.

I have experienced it on psychedelics but i believe that the process of

reaching egodeath happens so fast on psychedelics, that there is no proper foundation build for it

and thus the person (quite possibly always) descends back into the ego after the experience ends.

I think that the foundation necessary for observing ideas and self without holding on to even THE SMALLEST BIT

is simply faith in the act of pure observing. Under the influence of psychedelics it becomes somewhat

intuitive and easy to have faith in pure observing. Sober, it's a bit harder... but probably only as hard as we imagine it to be.

It is the role of the demons to make us believe it is hard, and that we can not do it.

And while were doing it, the demons scare us into believing that if we go any further we will die.

The truth is that it is only once we have died, that we can truely start to live.

Teachers there may be many, fearless disciples very few. (509)

Click to read nisargadatta's book for free (not 100% complete book but it contains everything that is already in the book. in the book, he keeps repeating himself over and over again because it's not actually a book he has written... they are recordings of talks that have been written down. That link contains the essence of nisargadattas teaching and it has arranged the content much more properly than in the real book.)

Nisargadatta says that it is not necessary to try to develop our energy,

because as we become more aware of our true nature our energy becomes more and more available to us.

I know his teachings contain a lot of truth,

because I have experienced everything in the way such as he said it is,

under the influence of psychedelics.

I would not really advise anyone to do psychedelics as that can be rather dangerous and unhealthy,

although they might help give people more insight into the process of enlightenment and how to get there sober. Don't take me on my word for this last bit, and remember that psychedelics can be dangerous! Definately not for everyone.

Below is a picture of the yogi named "nisargadatta".

post-50617-1260573275_thumb.jpg

Edited by zazaza

Isn't emptiness both a Taoist and Buddhist concept / goal?

The "Emptiness" for a Taoist is a goal to have the mind in a State of Serenity for complete stillness, quietness, or tranquility. So, the mind will be calm for body cultivation. Another words, no external disturbances or interruptions.

The "Emptiness" for a Buddhist is a goal to have an empty heart to due away with mental suffering from striving for materialism. The Buddhists do not want to contrive in the rat race which was causing all the human suffering and emotional bitterness.

As far as emotional concern, the Taoist has not initial problem to begin with. However, in Buddhism, the practitioner has an emotion problem due to family affair or personal conflict with society. Mentally, they cannot take it anymore, therefore they want to run away from all the turmoil and become a Buddhist.

PS....

These are only the general and basic phylosophy between the two religions. However, there are lot more issues to it for those who want to go in deeper.

Edited by ChiDragon