Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Rmax Article On Cst, Rkc And Crossfit

Well, I got banned for trying to bring up my concerns about this article on Rmax, so I thought I'd take it here. Did anybody read this article? It is available here: http://www.rmaxinternational.com/forum/sho...ead.php?p=97538

The article basically compares and contrasts CST, RKC and Crossfit (actually, it was a comparison of RKC and Crossfit written by a Crossfit trainer, with some CST advertising tacked on the end)...and I was sort of upset by the misrepresentation of CF.

They seem to imply that safety, balancing work and recovery, individually tailored goals, and so forth are unique to CST. I don't know much about CST (and after reading Scott Sonnon freak out over me pointing out some inaccuracies in the article that you'd think he'd want to correct--I'm not really inspired to!) but I know that Crossfit is fully scaleable, that there are progressions and it can of course be individually tailored based on one's goals, and so forth. I obviously can't say CST *doesn't* have these things, but I'm wondering why they think it is unique to their program. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm curious as to how people who never even tried a program are qualified to compare it. It was very clever and creative to simply quote someone else and add their thoughts on the end, but the authors I feel are still unqualified to comment about CF. How would they know how much focus is put on technique, safety, etc. if they never even tried it? How would they know if exercises were chosen by "whim" or "careful program design"? Plus, they make it sound like the idea of doing a simple exercise followed by a more complex/challenging one when ready for it is something they came up with. I first discovered that concept when I was 12 years old in a yoga class.

I also thought it was disturbing that they didn't want me to discuss CF, even though they just posted an inaccurate article dissing them. Apparently two women, Kelly Moore and Lynne Pitts, earned the Master of Sport at the International Clubbell Sport Midwest Regionals using Crossfit workouts, so I guess there's something to it...

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts.

If you feel bad about getting banned, just check out those videos of Scott "OCD" Sonnon on youtube and take

comfort in knowing that while he is at the gym pumping up, his wife is at home having the most amazingly disrespectful sex with someone else.

This I can guarantee, because no woman can respect an insecure and controlling man like Scott Sonnon.

LOL! I was just surprised, is all! I've heard such great things about Rmax and all the benefit people have gotten from it, and this is from the guy who wrote about FEAR REACTIVITY for crying out loud... Why is he so threatened by other systems?

Edited to add:

Also a little bird told me he's completely changed the article from what it was originally. He was editing his posts constantly as I was and after I responded to them to take out all the threats and obscenities, so I can see him doing that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lozen

LOL! I was just surprised, is all! I've heard such great things about Rmax and all the benefit people have gotten from it, and this is from the guy who wrote about FEAR REACTIVITY for crying out loud... Why is he so threatened by other systems?

Edited to add:

Also a little bird told me he's completely changed the article from what it was originally. He was editing his posts constantly as I was and after I responded to them to take out all the threats and obscenities, so I can see him doing that. :rolleyes:

He did it to Sean and myself as well as others. He flips out, bans people, then goes out and retro-actively removes the evidence of his ego flying out of control or stonewalls the people he hurt.

Maybe he should create a system of exercise called EGO REACTIVITY. lol

LOL! I was just surprised, is all! I've heard such great things about Rmax and all the benefit people have gotten from it, ..

Everyone agrees that there's a lot of benefit from intu-flow.

I don't have any direct knowlegde about Scott, or his forum. (All I've been doing is using his dvd's, which I like.) I have participated in a number of other spiritual groups and I can say that, so far, there has always been a not-immediately-apparent downside. Some flaw in the system, the way the knowledge is presented, and character foibles, blind-spots, human behavior run amuck in some way. This, even when the good stuff is really really stellar. After seeing this a number of times, seasoned students get better at clarifying earlier what part/s of a teaching system are really helpful, and what (often less obvious) part/s to avoid. Saves wear & tear.

Our greatest strength is our greatest weakness. Scott has an extraordinary passion for resolving trauma and fear through movement because he clearly has an extraordinary amount of trauma and fear. Sometimes it's the price of innovation. Doesn't mean we have to resonate with it though. IMO enjoy what you can from the RMAX material you are drawn to and stay the fuck away from their tribe. :)

Our greatest strength is our greatest weakness. Scott has an extraordinary passion for resolving trauma and fear through movement because he clearly has an extraordinary amount of trauma and fear. Sometimes it's the price of innovation. Doesn't mean we have to resonate with it though. IMO enjoy what you can from the RMAX material you are drawn to and stay the fuck away from their tribe. :)

Well said! B)

Does anybody want this copy of Warrior Wellness I have before I burn it? ;)

I'm kidding, of course. But I don't really want it in my space. I'm getting what I need from Crossfit, with a little bit of stretching and yoga and sometimes some KB work thrown in. And since I believe it was a TaoBums Library item, I'd be more than happy to pass it on to someone else. (Sooner rather than later!)

Of course, I think everyone's moved on to the fifteen other requisite DVDs by now.

I agree with you Trunk that every system has it's down sides, but for me it's important that the downsides don't outweigh the (potential) benefits. And I just don't like spending money on products made by people who suck.

And I can't believe that Plato and I agree on something.

Edited by Lozen

Oops, you edited this after I responded. I thought only Scott Sonnon could do that. :)

I'm not anti-gay, but I appreciate the sentiment, I think. :lol:

Edited by Lozen

I would really like to see "Dr" Sonnon's proof that kettlebells and Crossfit build strength at the "expense" of health. And if CF is so unhealthy, why does he keep stealing all of the exercises for his videos?

And where did he get his degree, anyway?

Edited by Lozen

I would really like to see "Dr" Sonnon's proof that kettlebells and Crossfit build strength at the "expense" of health. And if CF is so unhealthy, why does he keep stealing all of his exercises for his videos?

And where did he get his degree, anyway?

what is his theory about it being unhealthy?

what is his theory about it being unhealthy?

They don't really have good theories, they just say things like "Kettlebells and Crossfit build strength despite health, whereas in CST health is the most important thing" or something like that.

I'd post the actual quote, but then he'll probably threaten to sue me again. :lol:

They don't really have good theories, they just say things like "Kettlebells and Crossfit build strength despite health, whereas in CST health is the most important thing" or something like that.

Excessive strength-training re-enforces armoring held within the connective tissue continuum. That's the downside of a Pavel-like approach. I don't know anything about crossfit and so can't comment on that.

I would love to talk about connective tissue though! From what I've read there's a lot of ways to mess up connective tissue (if by that you mean cartilage in the menisci)

By "connective tissue continuum", I mean fascia - tendon - ligament - marrow. And, be clear that I said excessive strength training. I'm not, as a rule, suggesting dropping strength training altogether. Also, different body types need different emphasis-distribution of training (stretching, cardio, strength, etc.) to be in optimal health.

By "connective tissue continuum", I mean fascia - tendon - ligament - marrow. And, be clear that I said excessive strength training. I'm not, as a rule, suggesting dropping strength training altogether. Also, different body types need different emphasis-distribution of training (stretching, cardio, strength, etc.) to be in optimal health.

For sure. And it depends on the season. And on your diet. And your body type. And a million other individual factors (metabolism, etc.) And on what your goals are.

What was it about Pavel's approach that could tend towards excess? Just curious... and also what factors determine what is excessive strength training?

Sign in to follow this