Sign in to follow this  
Wun Yuen Gong

Falun Gung differences to Daoist methods?

Can someone tell me what the differences in the movements and cultivation methods are of Falun Gung and Daoist, Tibetan, Kunlun, etc?

Does the wheel turning a major part of there visualisations?

Can someone tell me what the differences in the movements and cultivation methods are of Falun Gung and Daoist, Tibetan, Kunlun, etc?

Does the wheel turning a major part of there visualisations?

There's no visualizations in falun gong, you're doing it in a wuwei state.

The movements are not very different from those of any good qigong with the exception of one where you hold a static position with your hands raised way above your head. I've heard at least two qigong masters object to this, but I'm not sure why.

Subjectively, falun gong feels hard when you do it (I mean the static positions if you hold them for a long time, the way you are supposed to; the movements are easy), but you do get to feel wonderful afterwards. Falun gong meditations are supposed to be done in full lotus, and for a long time, and with rather difficult (suspended, some of them) arm positions.

Ideologically, it is a Buddhist school of cultivation, according to Li Hongzi its founder, with some (not many) taoist elements and ideas blended in. Socially, it is a controversial deal -- a classic fundamentalist cult on one hand and a classic persecuted martyrdom on the other. One of the requirements of the school is that you do not practice anything else, absolutely nothing. So for the eclectically minded, the martially minded, the free-will minded, it is not a good fit. However, for someone seeking spiritual growth centered around devotional practices, higher authority, etc., for someone generally comfortable with carved-in-stone dogma, it's ideal. Intellectually, it's not acceptable for anyone who is used to independent thinking; experientially, however, it is quite powerful, for reasons I don't know.

The movements are not very different from those of any good qigong with the exception of one where you hold a static position with your hands raised way above your head. I've heard at least two qigong masters object to this, but I'm not sure why.

Subjectively, falun gong feels hard when you do it (I mean the static positions if you hold them for a long time, the way you are supposed to; the movements are easy), but you do get to feel wonderful afterwards. Falun gong meditations are supposed to be done in full lotus, and for a long time, and with rather difficult (suspended, some of them) arm positions.

Ideologically, it is a Buddhist school of cultivation, according to Li Hongzi its founder, with some (not many) taoist elements and ideas blended in. Socially, it is a controversial deal -- a classic fundamentalist cult on one hand and a classic persecuted martyrdom on the other. One of the requirements of the school is that you do not practice anything else, absolutely nothing. So for the eclectically minded, the martially minded, the free-will minded, it is not a good fit. However, for someone seeking spiritual growth centered around devotional practices, higher authority, etc., for someone generally comfortable with carved-in-stone dogma, it's ideal. Intellectually, it's not acceptable for anyone who is used to independent thinking; experientially, however, it is quite powerful, for reasons I don't know.

---------------------------------------------

hi taomeow, thanks for the information I have wondered about the same thing. happy to learn from you again. missed your posts.

not just falun also the luo-han we are taught has a position like that, static with hand raised over head. there are accord to my grandmaster 3600 different qigong styles.

Edited by rain

Supposedly Li HongZhi once was a student of Liping. According to my teacher he reached a certain level of attainment but utilizes a method that does not really lead his students anywhere. He is extending his power to them by giving them something he calls a Futi (if I remember right that was the spelling). In some ways the effects they can feel by that are very strong and impressive... but actually they are not really progressing themselves... if I understood my teacher right :)

I once practiced Falun Gong but never had any special kind of feelings or anything...

:)

Harry

Thanks for your kind words, Rain! :)

Harry,

do you happen to remember the source of info re LH being a student of Liping's?

If it's a wu wei state is the movement spontaneously generated? How to be wuwei in a form? Then again, between the form the transitions creates a flow pattern that turns a general principle into standing and periodic wave patterns. Like a buckminster fully epicote chi dome. A "state" of being....

Thanks TM. That's like mind gung or something. We call it Placing the Crown. Full Lotus is a crazy position. It's like an energetic pyramid. Now the big question, why arrest Falun Gung for practicing in public? What makes them different from some wudang guy doing a chi gung demonstration? No freedom of expression/movement? How lucky we are to live in a place we may move (worship) in ways that are fullfilling to us.

not just falun also the luo-han we are taught has a position like that, static with hand raised over head.

I was just exposed to Luo-Han 18 Hands(?) for the first time 3 weeks ago. Connected at all?

Rain I've heard similar numbers on how many different forms of chi gung there are. Shifu Lily Sui of the Immortal School of Acupuncture in Honolulu says over 8000. Always the breath though, dnuthk?

Edited by Spectrum

Wow, i didnt realise that the founder of Falun Gung was a student of Wang Liping??

I have a friend that used to train falun gung and got alot of results and said it is pretty good as good as most chi kung out there. If it wasnt that good why is there so many practitioners with in such a short time?

WYG

>do you happen to remember the source of info re LH being a student of Liping's?<

If my mind serves me well, the source is my teacher who says himself to know and learn with Liping... I can't remember though if Li Hongzhi was only a public student or in some kind of inner circle.

>>If it wasnt that good why is there so many practitioners with in such a short time?<<

As I said. I was told that many practitioners HAVE quick results... but this supposedly not due to them actually and really developing themselves through the practice, but because of this FuTi supposedly being planted into them and doing its work...

Please take everything what I say with a grain of salt. I allow myself the freedom to believe my teacher, but I don't claim to know anything myself...

:)

Harry

Sign in to follow this