The Genuine Article

How Is Taoism/Buddhism a way of life?

Peace and Respect everyone.

i have a question i've been pondering over and over and over in my head how exactly is taoism and buddhism considered way of life? What exactly are some characteristics that make taoism as well as buddhism a way of life?

anyone

hahaha, love it!

Um???

Think U left folks speechless !

Lots have looked but they are unsure maybe?

They are all sitting back on their laurels trying to figure

how it isn't?

How is "something" that's a part of Everything

not a part of something??? LOL

Not sure how to answer myself, Gen?

But if you narrow it down a little I will try!

My own knowledge is very limited i'm afraid but will attempt?

Like do you mean Where does one see Tao in their life

or how does one practice day to day taoism/buddhism?

Are you looking for the religious aspect taoism/buddhism?

Or more into he philosophy of Taoism?

More specifically

What are you specifically pondering ?

:D

Nice to meet you!

Shon

Well it's a way of life because that's what it usually requires. Just like if you want to be really good at playing the guitar, you have to spend mostly all of your time doing it and things related to it. So people want enlightenment, and they let go of all the things that don't lead to that. Some get stuck along the way, in dressing like a Buddhist/Taoist, holding to certain rituals or whatever, reading books, thinking about it.

It gets to a point where it can be likened to being a really good guitarist....playing guitar isn't about reading guitar books and discussing the guitar, or thinking about it. It's not about dressing like a rock star, buying the best strings or amps or pickups, etc. It's just about playing guitar. When you see it from that point of view, the people that focus on all of those other things are kind of mislead. They aren't interested in guitar playing at all....just in perhaps looking like a rock star or the guitar culture.

And that's a way of life in itself.

But the purist of Taoism or Buddhism...the one who has mastered it/become enlightened...it truly becomes everything they are, but at the same time they're free of all the trappings that it normally entails.

So they don't have to adapt to it anymore, since it's who they are. It's their way of life.

But the person that has to adapt to it...that's taking on a way of life. Kind of like if you need to go on a diet, you have to change your whole life to fit this new thing. But a person who doesn't have to go on a diet already eats well enough and doesn't even think about it...it's just natural.

:P I don't know...you asked!

Maybe people didn't think you were serious? Maybe its the weekend? If you believe the 4 noble truths and follow the 8 fold path then Buddhism is obviously a way of life. I'm not going to touch Taoism.....

It's so easy to get tripped up with words!

That's why Daoism and Buddhism are at their best when experienced and acted out rather than studied and talked about. Both are experiential. Both offer the opportunity to live in a balanced way with the world around us. Living a life steeped in Buddhist or Daoist core principles can be a beautiful thing (the same can be said for Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Jain, Muslim and so on).

From an intellectual perspective, there are lots of interesting rituals, trappings, sutras, prayers and so forth.

IMO it's the living that counts.

Philosophical Taoism presents a good example of how Taoism can be considered more of a way of life than anything else. It does not posses an explicit epistomology or metaphysics as do conventional philosophies and religions. In other words, Taoism can be more of a label we apply to a rather anarchistic way of life. In fact, it is said that in China today you can still come across the occational person obviously meditating in the wilderness but, if you ask them if they are Zen or Taoist, they are likely to chase you away yelling, "No! I'm just me! Go away!" Nor is it important that people who practice a Taoist lifestyle know that they are considered Taoist by others, and until recently religious Taoists did not have missionaries.

The lifestyle supported by Taoism emphasises simplicity, spontaneity, and acceptance.

Peace and Respect everyone.

i have a question i've been pondering over and over and over in my head how exactly is taoism and buddhism considered way of life? What exactly are some characteristics that make taoism as well as buddhism a way of life?

Its considered a way of life by the cultivation of living in the understanding of what basic necessities are for the living conditions you manifest in your life.

The most basic characteristics of of what makes them a way of life, or lifestyle is simply being a good-hearted person. Being a good-hearted person means being patient and considerate to everyone you encounter, animal, etc.

So to sum it all up, being Daoist and or Buddhist is simply to be a virtuous person.

Religion in it is simply a misconstruction of the teachings. Yet it also depends on what the majority see religion as. Take just two perceptions of religious views: 1). to devote mind and self to practices in only worship with hope that things will get better.

2). to devote oneself to the teachings in regards to being a good person and being an example to others of virtue. To worship in the manner of paying respects to one who has higher cultivation with hope of attaining that level, and faith that one will attain it through constant practice.

Basically, for Buddhism, religious views within it started about 200yrs ago by those who elt in competition to Daoism which was gaining lots of followers due to its vague presumptions of daily living. Vague presumptions were made by many who couldn't control their mind. Thus, it went to Buddhist cultivators alike.

Daoism, before institutionalization, as well as Buddhism, was a well respected education dealing with what is now seen as 3 separate entities to be cultivated; Body , Mind and Spirit.

Followers of both devoted themselves to service, cultivation and the propagation of the teachings by means of what the people were ready to accept. Now it has been made into a capitalist front, with teachers on both ends teaching bits and pieces of the proper teachings, making them deviant. Thus the current confusion of what Buddhism and Daoism is actually.

What is it then? It is simply teachings to better cultivate virtue. When the mundane of character is refined, it transforms to what is considered to be "spiritual". Spiritual is basically everything we experience, from the mundane to the pure. It all originates from the same source.

Different teachings for different minds, but its all the same teachings, as long as it leads the cultivator to wholesome outcomes, and steers them from deviant, indulgent lifestyles.

If you look at all the Martial Arts guidelines, they all point to not indulging in sexual activity to retain one's spirit. Spirit is simply the brightness of a well cultivated person, the essence of their wholesome behavior. If it is deviant, but bright, it isn't wholesome. How to tell them difference? Just observe the cultivator teaching.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

So to sum it all up, being Daoist and or Buddhist is simply to be a virtuous person.

Religion in it is simply a misconstruction of the teachings.

Daoism, before institutionalization, as well as Buddhism, was a well respected education dealing with what is now seen as 3 separate entities to be cultivated; Body , Mind and Spirit.

Followers of both devoted themselves to service, cultivation and the propagation of the teachings by means of what the people were ready to accept. Now it has been made into a capitalist front, with teachers on both ends teaching bits and pieces of the proper teachings, making them deviant. Thus the current confusion of what Buddhism and Daoism is actually.

What is it then? It is simply teachings to better cultivate virtue.

So are you suggesting that religious Daoism is a perversion of its basic philosophical foundations? Interesting, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone saying this before (outside of purely academic circles). It happens to be what I think, more or less.

As a Taoist, teaching, I give the reply as below...

"Taoist way of life is to learn and cope with nature, go with nature, blend yourself with nature (which means blend yourself with tao)." -- Simple

It is strange to find that some people adopt a romantic description of Taoist and Buddhist ways of life similar to some sort of hippie or artists : free , loose and undisciplined ; which is totally misleading. In fact, both Taoism and Buddhism know that death is the basic element of our existence ; life and death are just two faces of the same coin . A very common saying is that there is no guarantee that after having exhaled, an inhale breathing will follow . Because of this ,both Taoist and Buddhist practice request us to struggle at every interval of our breathing or streaming consciousness ( in fact, they are related ); laziness or not forward-moving is never advocated .

Edited by exorcist_1699

When you cope with nature with the cultivation of taoism, in taoism we say "Yue Do hup Jan " 與道合真 meaning you blended with tao.

Blending with tao can provide you health, longlivity, wealth, luck and fortune. because you are not going against tao, you do not corrupt yourself.

To go with tao, of course "DUCK" is what comes first for the beginning changes, (duck means te as in tao te ching, meaning virtues and all those..)

To train your DUCK for "life imporvement" you start from your actions to change...

It's so easy to get tripped up with words!

That's why Daoism and Buddhism are at their best when experienced and acted out rather than studied and talked about. Both are experiential. Both offer the opportunity to live in a balanced way with the world around us. Living a life steeped in Buddhist or Daoist core principles can be a beautiful thing (the same can be said for Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Jain, Muslim and so on).

From an intellectual perspective, there are lots of interesting rituals, trappings, sutras, prayers and so forth.

IMO it's the living that counts.

I feel as though you've said it in an excellent manner, Mr. Steve. How quickly we complicate things...

It isn't a way of life, it is life. It is THE Way.

Living without words......... the sage's smile is eternal.

Because no words know the true Tao; to remain wordless, one begins to see the shimmer...