Sign in to follow this  
Stigweard

Sleep Paralysis or Demonic Possession?

I'm not sure what time it was when my intruder entered my room. I only remember awakening to sense it's inky presence oozing into my room. There was no shape as such, just a glutinous oppressiveness that poured its way into my room and descended on my prostrate body.

It was the summer of 1996, I was staying in a seedy men's hostel just near the CBD of Rockhampton, Australia. This place used to be a pub (public bar) and the hallways still echoed of a hundred years of debauchery. My tiny room on the second floor, lacking any form of cooling to speak of, opened up onto a verandah from which I had a unique view across the road to perhaps the nastiest, foulest pub in town.

This pub was frequented by the towns' urban aboriginals and many were the nights where I was serenaded by a chorus of vulgarity, violence and the midnight screaming of police sirens. Only a week before the events I am about to relate I had a box office seat to a mini-riot which left a stream of blood trickling into the gutters.

On this particularly hot night, that left me gasping in my room like it was a furnace, I had decided to leave open the french doors that opened onto the verandah trying to catch the non-existent breeze. After endless minutes of sweltering listlessly I managed to plunge into the reprieve of sleep.

My first waking instinct, when I was pinned fast to my bed, was of course to panic and scream, but before I could even gasp this incredible weight had estinguished my speech and severed my very ability to think. I say "weight" but it wasn't a physical weight as such, more like a density that tore its way through my mind and sunk it's tendrils deep within me to assault the sanctity of my soul.

I can't say how long I lay there, helpless, I couldn't even think let alone contemplate the passing of time. I do know I struggled desperately but in vain because every avenue my mind fled down was slammed shut by my unyielding captor.

But then some unknown part of me surged forth. My mind was flayed and stripped bare to reveal something deeper, something filled with an incredible raw potency. I was like the Earth itself with its crust sundered apart to release the primal magma of its core.

In an instant my awareness flew to my lower Tan Tien and my lower abdomen erupted in a explosion of pure light. I felt my adversary convulse above me which gave me my chance for escape. I surged this pure light out to my hands and I blasted the full potency of my being into my foe.

It flailed in protest, yet still I sent forth torrents of the unquenchable light. Finally my intruder routed, releasing its hold on my mind, fleeing back out of the door. Immediately I was up out of my bed streaming my light before me, nothing could resist my advance. I got to the door and sealed the portal with the light from my hands, creating a impenetrable web of light.

With incredible relief coursing through me I turned around ... only to behold my own prostrate body, eyes closed, sweating on my bed, a full fifteen feet from where my awareness 'stood'.

I jolted awake on my bed, bolting upright with a startled cry. Confused I looked around my room, back toward the door where I had only just been standing, but it was eerily normal. Then I noticed the sensations in my body. My hands burned furiously, waves of Qi pulsing out of them, my lower abdomen was vibrating tempestuously and I could still feel the 'little sun' that burned there.

Out of instinct I got up and repeated my cleansing process. Sending streams of light from my hands through my room and out the door and then once again I sealed the entrance way.

For hours I stayed awake, journalling as much as I could remember. And as the dawn broke that morning I gave sincere and hearty thanks to my teachers and to all the qigong and nei tan I had learned up to that point that had helped me win freedom from my midnight intruder.

-----------------

Edit: Added year of event. Corrected some grammar.

Edited by Stigweard

From your message, I can tell you what happened.

Your Chi did not win the demon, actually you did left your Chi for their good meal and now they have already got your chi that is why you feel your palm have hot chi coming out. Your chi was stolen in the processed and now the spirit is still around.

Your sealing cannot work for this demon because you are no match for them. What you are doing is only leaving back CHI for them to trace and go back with you to your home town. Good Luck.

What I recommended is that you shall really get 2 FUs.

1. Protection FU - wear around your neck for 49 days, it will get rid of that thing for you and protect you for sure that prevent them from coming back.

2. Cleansing Bath - Your energy from the demon must be cleansed with the FU specified for them and you cannot use ANY chi gung ways to cleanse it out because your chi is not capable of doing any cleanings for these kind of stuff, you can only cleanse your aura, but not the evil spirit energy.

If you need any help, you may feel free to msg me.

If you find yourself getting lots of bad luck or illness afterward, you shall know what I am talking about.

I'm not sure what time it was when my intruder entered my room. I only remember awakening to sense it's inky presence oozing into my room. There was no shape as such, just a glutinous oppressiveness that poured its way into my room and descended on my prostrate body.

I was staying in a seedy men's hostel just near the CBD of Rockhampton, Australia. This place used to be a pub (public bar) and the hallways still echoed of a hundred years of debauchery. My tiny room, which lacked any form of cooling to speak of, opened up onto the second floor verandah which gave me a unique view across the road to perhaps the nastiest, foulest pub in town.

This pub was frequented by the towns' urban aboriginals and many were the nights I was serenaded by a chorus of vulgarity, violence and the midnight screaming of police sirens. Only a week before the events I am about to relate I had a box office seat to a mini-riot which left a stream of blood trickling into the gutters.

On this particularly hot night, that left me gasping in my room like it was a furnace, I had decided to leave open the french doors that opened onto the verandah trying to catch the non-existent breeze. After endless minutes of sweltering listlessly I managed to plunge into the reprieve of sleep.

My first waking instinct, when I was pinned fast to my bed, was of course to panic and scream, but before I could even gasp this incredible weight had estinguished my speech and had severed my very ability to think. I say "weight" but it wasn't a physical weight as such, more like a density that tore its way through my mind and sunk it's tendrils deep within me to assault the sanctity of my soul.

I can't say how long I lay there, helpless, I couldn't even think let alone contemplate the passing of time. I do know I struggled despeartely but in vain because every avenue my mind fled down was slammed shut by my unyielding captor.

But then some unknown part of me surged forth. My mind was flayed and stripped bare to reveal something deeper, something filled with an incredible raw potency. I was like the Earth itself with its crust sundered apart to release the primal magma of its core.

In an instant my awareness flew to my lower Tan Tien and my lower abdomen erupted in a explosion of pure light. I felt my adversary convulse above me which gave me my chance for escape. I surged this pure light out to my hands and I blasted the full potency of my being into my foe.

It flailed in protest, yet still I sent forth torrents of the unquenchable light. Finally my intruder routed releasing its hold on my mind, fleeing back out of the door. Immediately I was up out of my bed streaming my light before me, nothing could resist my advance. I got to the door and sealed the portal with the light from my hands, creating a impenetrable web of light.

With incredible relief coursing through me I turned around ... only to behold my prostrate body, eyes closed, sweating on my bed, a full fifteen feet from where my awareness 'stood'.

I jolted awake on my bed, bolting upright with a startled cry. Confused I looked around my room and toward the door where I had only just been standing, but it was eerily normal. Then I noticed the sensations in my body. My hands burned furiously, I could still feel the waves of Qi pulsing out of them, my lower Tan Tien was vibarating tempestuously and I could still feel the 'little sun' that burned there.

Out of instinct I got up and repeated my cleansing process. Sending streams of light from my hands through my room and out the door and then I once again sealed the entrance way.

For hours I stayed awake, journalling as much as I could remember. And as the dawn broke that morning I gave sincere and hearty thanks to my teachers and to all the qigong and nei tan I had learned up to that point that had helped me win freedom from my midnight intruder.

What a shudder making tale. :o

How were you afterward, Stig?

My psychology training is telling me that the place you were staying activated your own unconscious shadow to such a degree that it reared up to meet you....so that you could experience an inner confrontation between your light side and your dark.

And I wonder if the energy of that place became embodied for you,in your dream state, because you needed to know that you could and would take a strong stance against it, because it was so threatening. So you reassured yourself of your own power. Reassured yourself that it was no threat to you. Saw it off.

If it was your own darkness, or a dark force 'outside' of you, either way, the effect was the same. You strengthened your own sense of yourself in some way, and gained a deeper knowledge of the feeling of darkness.

It shows how very strong you are. A lot of us would have woken up sweating and full of fear, and not resolved the issue.

I hope you had a really good pot of tea after that battle, Stig. :)

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair

Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light

My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim

I had to stop for the night

There she stood in the doorway;

I heard the mission bell

And I was thinking to myself,

?this could be heaven or this could be hell?

Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way

There were voices down the corridor,

I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the hotel california

Such a lovely place

Such a lovely face

Plenty of room at the hotel california

Any time of year, you can find it here

Her mind is tiffany-twisted, she got the mercedes bends

She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the captain,

?please bring me my wine?

He said, ?we haven?t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine?

And still those voices are calling from far away,

Wake you up in the middle of the night

Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the hotel california

Such a lovely place

Such a lovely face

They livin? it up at the hotel california

What a nice surprise, bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,

The pink champagne on ice

And she said ?we are all just prisoners here, of our own device?

And in the master?s chambers,

They gathered for the feast

The stab it with their steely knives,

But they just can?t kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was

Running for the door

I had to find the passage back

To the place I was before

?relax,? said the night man,

We are programmed to receive.

You can checkout any time you like,

But you can never leave!

Glad you made it out!

Your pal,

Yoda

Thanks for sharing your experience Stigweard. It reminded me of something in my past. Many years ago, I often woke up in the middle of the night and felt terrifying presences in my room. Not necessarily good or bad, just frighteningly powerful. Later, I went through a stage of frequent sleep paralysis. Never both together though, even when I had some extremely frightening hallucinations. Several times I tried really hard to move, for a long time, and actually had the sensation of moving. I thought I was physically crawling out of bed and across the floor very slowly, but I would later wake up in bed again. I always figured I went into a half dreaming state, but maybe I was having an OBEs? Any thoughts?

Mind is very powerful, and people would be wise to remember this. Just because something is powerful does not mean it can't be mind.

In Buddhism there is a practice called Chod. Chod is when you offer your body to the demons. So you let the demons eat your body. The purpose of this practice is to cut through the attachment to the body and to one's own self-idea (what we call ego, but ego is not a good word now, since it became loaded).

Think what this means.

Basically, to protect yourself means to perpetuate this illusion of a limited identity. But another opportunity is to allow whatever forces are there to act without interference. And if they want to eat you, let them and you can turn it into an offering.

Obviously this is very hard core. No wimpy people need apply.

Now, if you are not ready for this, my second suggestion is to simply allow this incident to pass. To do so, first simply forget it. Which is to say, occupy yourself with something pertinent and wholesome so that there is no time to dwell on this. However, if the memory is heavy, it is hard to "just forget it". In that case you need to brighten up the memory. How to brighten up the memory? Very easy. First you recall what happened to you in vivid detail, and then get creative with it. Add funny music to it. See it from different angles. Play it in slow motion. Add tap dancers to it. Basically just have fun with it. Put your memory into a picture frame, or make it look like a CNN report. By constantly playing with the memory like this you will change its meaning. The memory will then become a toy, an ornament, and a play thing for you and it will lose its power over your mind. You will still remember it, but it will be a bright memory now. Now that you have brightened it up, let it go.... let it flow... And to let it go means it's perfectly OK if you remember it, that's OK...then you move on again. It just means you don't dwell on it more than necessary it doesn't mean you must strain yourself to avoid it. Bright memories are safe anyway, so there is no harm if they come up, but since they are not all that instructive after a while, it's OK to move onto more interesting topics. This allowing yourself to move to another topic is the process of healing.

So, if you are really hard core, I suggest you take the first advice, and if you don't want that kind of challenge right now, and you have better things to do, then I suggest the second advice. :) Either way -- there is no problem, because at your core you are immortal and cannot be either harmed or improved by anything anyway. Appearances are ornamental -- not substantial. Good luck.

PS: Every obstacle is a blessing.

Edited by goldisheavy

Hi Stig, I saw a documentary about this kind of thing. Evidently it is a fairly common occurrence. People feel there is a presence, they are pinned to the bed and can't move. The documentary explained it as a non mystical, non spirit situation. Sorry I can't remember the scientific name of it or the details of the explanation. What was different in your case was the out of body experieince that went with it. Have you had an out of body experience before?

In Buddhism there is a practice called Chod. Chod is when you offer your body to the demons. So you let the demons eat your body. The purpose of this practice is to cut through the attachment to the body and to one's own self-idea (what we call ego, but ego is not a good word now, since it became loaded).

Think what this means.

Basically, to protect yourself means to perpetuate this illusion of a limited identity. But another opportunity is to allow whatever forces are there to act without interference. And if they want to eat you, let them and you can turn it into an offering.

I think it's really stupid, you go too far with all this everything is mind stuff.

Sleep paralysis is very common. If I recall correctly, I think I read somewhere that nearly everyone experiences it at least once in their lives, usually in their youth.

Regarding your beautifully well-written post, Stig, I think whatever you did, if it hasn't returned and you feel good about it -- that's it. I also think it's great that you were able to break out of it.

I've experienced SP twice in my life: once when I was a teenager and was very fearful so decided just to go back to sleep hoping it would go away, and once after my third eye opening, and I felt no fear during the second one and was actually curious and excited, and was also able to break free from it.

For some reason I know i'm never going to experience SP ever again because it's just not possible anymore. I know how to overcome it, and I think you do too. :)

I have experienced both sleep paralysis and what I consider to be one experience of demon possession. The sleep paralysis was connected to a phenomenon called "false awakening"; basically, I would dream that I woke up, go about my business, realize that I was still dreaming (a few times because I happened to glance at the bed and notice my sleeping body there), and have to wake up all over again -- very disorienting. Sometimes I would end up in an in between state where I could feel my body but was completely immobilized, while my mind was more or less awake and my eyes were either open or dreaming the room (both have happened); this was described to me as sleep paralysis. I never felt a "presence", and I always snapped out of it eventually, a little startled, but no other problems; as you said, no sweating, no panic, no chills, and I didn't see anything unusual. This was all before I heard about astral travel, of course :rolleyes: .

My experience with demon possession was years later, and quite different. I was taking a shower right after waking up, and as I stood there I half dozed off...out of nowhere, I began to see flashes of an alligator crawling towards me, accompanied by threatening bursts of oboe music ( :blink: ). I examined the threatening aspect of the vision to see why it bothered me.

Suddenly, this became images of a naked, adult male figure falling repeatedly backwards into a pond, in which I was floating halfway between the bottom and the surface. I was interested, but otherwise unaffected at this point; it occasionally happens that I have "visions" of some human figure (sometimes male, sometimes female, sometimes a child :D ) doing some odd thing or other, and I assumed that the figure was my Other (unconscious shadow, more or less) as it often was. This time its body was built like a Greek god, its hair was chin length and shaggy and dark, and its face was vacant. As I paid more attention to it, it turned to look at me. When our eyes met, it occurred to me that the "water" was associated with my consciousness, and that by falling into it and catching my attention it had gained the ability to remain there for the moment. As we looked each other in the eye, I could feel us beginning to meld together...

At this point I knew something was amiss. It did not feel right. It felt foreign, malicious, empty, possessive...I don't know how to really describe it but it was not what I expected. I was still standing with my eyes open, and I could move if I made an effort, but I had the distinct feeling of something sharing my body, like I had to overcome the volition of the foreign entity in order to move. It did not have complete control, but I could feel it pushing.

Suddenly a voice in my head reminded me that no matter what energy was intruding, that my consciousness should be the "flagship", that if this energy was here I should find what was useful to me and make it mine, dispelling the rest (this is close to something I had been thinking about lately) and try be done with it. Summoning all of my strength, I probed with my awareness, and found a bubbling, flowing, pushing energy that seemed to have the power to travel and change things in surges and flows, subtly and by degrees, into something completely different. I realized that's what the demon was trying to do to me. When I found the entity's power, it seemed to come under control. I immediately reasserted myself and shook off the bad energy, retaining the memory and just a tiny bit of the entity's power. I felt drained, a little cold (even in the hot shower), and fragile, and I was shaking a little, but I was myself again and I had a new confidence. The flashes of the alligator came back, crawling away from me in reverse this time, no music, and faded away. It never came back.

Thinking back on it later, I became convinced I was visited by a water demon. Scary stuff! What are your thoughts?

Edited by JackSquat

I live in the tic toc world where bumps and groans are caused by drafts and settling or as Scrooge would say, the old bit of roast beef from last night.

This Newtonian understanding of the world probably causes me to walk (or sleep) past all manners of inner and outer phenomena rushing past me. :)

That said, I can't help thinking its a combination. That incidents leave psychic prints, and in the twilight between wakefulness and sleep your mind picks up on it and runs with it.

Michael

In the corners and cliff notes of holy Judaic writings there is talk of the other worldly things of seeing into the future, demons and possessions. Most of them tend to say, 'Stay away, give it no mind and it will tend to ignore you.'

I want to thank you Mak Tin Si for your kind consideration in this matter. I am certain that your services are highly beneficial.

I am also quite certain that the good spirits that guide and protect me, the 12 years of cultivation following this event (which does include Fu Jyeo), and the force of my innate nature has been more than sufficient in nullifying any adverse effects of my encounter.

If you are motivated by compassion perhaps you could light an incense at your altar in my name. I will do likewise for yourself.

Blessings my friend,

What I recommended is that you shall really get 2 FUs.

If you need any help, you may feel free to msg me.

How were you afterward, Stig?

Obviously I was quite shaken by the ordeal, and I was changed irrevocably. Up until that point in my life I had been searching quite intently for proof that there was indeed more to my mundane existence. This was both a confirmation for me as well as a warning to pull my head in a little and devote more of my time to my foundation training rather then looking for cheap thrills. It has also spurred me onward to become intimately acquainted with the awesomeness of the being that arose within me.

It shows how very strong you are. A lot of us would have woken up sweating and full of fear, and not resolved the issue.

You do know how to make a chap feel special don't you :D:lol:

I hope you had a really good pot of tea after that battle, Stig. :)

Indeed :)

Glad you made it out!

Your pal,

Yoda

Cheers my friend ... The tunes of "hotel california" certainly would be a fitting theme track to the interlude :D

I always figured I went into a half dreaming state, but maybe I was having an OBEs? Any thoughts?

You could be right ... who truly knows the truth of such mysteries?

Hi Stig, I saw a documentary about this kind of thing.

It would be an interesting doco to see if you ever remember it :D

I think whatever you did, if it hasn't returned and you feel good about it -- that's it. I also think it's great that you were able to break out of it.

I've experienced SP twice in my life: once when I was a teenager and was very fearful so decided just to go back to sleep hoping it would go away, and once after my third eye opening, and I felt no fear during the second one and was actually curious and excited, and was also able to break free from it.

For some reason I know i'm never going to experience SP ever again because it's just not possible anymore. I know how to overcome it, and I think you do too. :)

:D

Riveting! Thank you for sharing that experience with us, Stig...

I am honoured that you appreciated it :D

You are perhaps quite right. The majority of people don't achieve their full potential until their back is in a corner and a sword is above their heads. :D

I have experienced both sleep paralysis and what I consider to be one experience of demon possession.

Thank you for sharing your experiences JackSquat, we take from any experience what is for our highest good and over the years we will continue to find more and more levels of meaning and knowledge. :D

It would be an interesting doco to see if you ever remember it :D

It was on TV long ago, actually I missed the part in the thread title that should have told me you already knew about sleep paralysis =)

Anyway, here are some videos about sleep paralysis

I always figured I went into a half dreaming state, but maybe I was having an OBEs? Any thoughts?

I'm not convinced there's much difference, actually.

I was staying in a seedy men's hostel just near the CBD of Rockhampton, Australia. This place used to be a pub (public bar) and the hallways still echoed of a hundred years of debauchery. My tiny room, which lacked any form of cooling to speak of, opened up onto the second floor verandah which gave me a unique view across the road to perhaps the nastiest, foulest pub in town.

This pub was frequented by the towns' urban aboriginals and many were the nights I was serenaded by a chorus of vulgarity, violence and the midnight screaming of police sirens. Only a week before the events I am about to relate I had a box office seat to a mini-riot which left a stream of blood trickling into the gutters.

My first waking instinct, when I was pinned fast to my bed, was of course to panic and scream, but before I could even gasp this incredible weight had estinguished my speech and had severed my very ability to think. I say "weight" but it wasn't a physical weight as such, more like a density that tore its way through my mind and sunk it's tendrils deep within me to assault the sanctity of my soul.

I can't say how long I lay there, helpless, I couldn't even think let alone contemplate the passing of time. I do know I struggled despeartely but in vain because every avenue my mind fled down was slammed shut by my unyielding captor.

It flailed in protest, yet still I sent forth torrents of the unquenchable light. Finally my intruder routed releasing its hold on my mind, fleeing back out of the door. Immediately I was up out of my bed streaming my light before me, nothing could resist my advance. I got to the door and sealed the portal with the light from my hands, creating a impenetrable web of light.

With incredible relief coursing through me I turned around ... only to behold my prostrate body, eyes closed, sweating on my bed, a full fifteen feet from where my awareness 'stood'.

I jolted awake on my bed, bolting upright with a startled cry. Confused I looked around my room and toward the door where I had only just been standing, but it was eerily normal. Then I noticed the sensations in my body. My hands burned furiously, I could still feel the waves of Qi pulsing out of them, my lower Tan Tien was vibarating tempestuously and I could still feel the 'little sun' that burned there.

Out of instinct I got up and repeated my cleansing process. Sending streams of light from my hands through my room and out the door and then I once again sealed the entrance way.

Congratulations, you have broken through to your real self.

Now things will get really interesting! Hold onto your hat! AND keep up your cultivation.

Where there is LIGHT darkness cannot exist. But others you encounter in the sea of humanity will not have knowledge of who they really are so you must choose as to whether you will help or just be. Listen wisely for sometimes we should help and sometimes we should just be.

Congratulations, you have broken through to your real self.

Now things will get really interesting! Hold onto your hat! AND keep up your cultivation.

Where there is LIGHT darkness cannot exist. But others you encounter in the sea of humanity will not have knowledge of who they really are so you must choose as to whether you will help or just be. Listen wisely for sometimes we should help and sometimes we should just be.

Thank you Ya Mu, your summation resonates with my own.

I would like to post in here the demonic/parasitic experienced by a patient of my friend:

...I'm very familiar with this sort of event. It happened to my brother a few years ago.

All the same pattern ....... the amorphous mass , the impossibly heavy weight pining him down so he couldn't move, the terrible effect on his mind. It happened when my brother was sleeping too.

He woke up and it was on him pining him down. He was not able to ward it off though and it entered his body and mind and took over. He was an Academic at the time and could no longer read or write or think for more than 5 -10 minutes without getting a terrible headache, feeling numb and exhausted. He would get bizarre very localised pains in his body that had no logical basis and was very weak. He became very thin. His acupuncturist thought he had chronic fatigue and I can't remember what else if anything. He did the rounds of many specialists.

I eventually started treating him because he was so desperate. I don't think he had much confidence in me.

That's how I saw it in my brother. It was wound up in his head like a huge tight ball of cream coloured spaghetti and it had tendrils that ran down into his chest and arms. I knew it was very strong so I started in his chest and worked my way up until I got to his head. Then started at the edges and worked my way in. I nicknamed it Marilyn for some reason. It took me about 2 months I think to slowly kill it. One day I went into his head to do the next bit but Marilyn had died. It fell out on me like a rotting mass of creamy spaghetti with a lot of fluid around it. It really startled me. My brother did recover.

It's odd you know. When he really needs my help he believes totally in what I do. But when he gets well he starts to doubt and ends up thinking that he must have been helped by something else he was taking or doing. Not that it matters I suppose. The main thing is that I do what I can to help...

Talk soon,

E.

Sign in to follow this